EAP Mesh networking

EAP Mesh networking

EAP Mesh networking
EAP Mesh networking
2024-01-14 22:06:25 - last edited 2024-01-16 10:24:48

Hi, can't find a definative answer to the following;

I have the EAP225 Outdoor V1, Im wanting to make a MESH network (would need to purcahse another omada WAP). Question is, is the V1 capbable of MESH, and do I also need the Hardware Cotroller OC200 to make the MESH network work?

The reason being if I also have to get the OC200 it probably doesnt make $$ sense when I can go straight to a Deco system that is probably easier to setup, or theres also the Easymesh to consider as well....

Thanks

Ben

Options
22 Reply
Re:EAP Mesh networking
2024-01-15 16:20:56 - last edited 2024-01-16 17:14:05

@nzben 

To build a mesh you'd need a controller (like OC200). Here's a guide on how to do that at home.

Keep in mind that EAP is part of the Omada solution and that's a business grade equipment.

On the other hand Deco and Easymesh are home network class equipment.

To get more perspective on the difference between these technologies you could check this blog.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-16 15:04:59

@nzben 

You need a controller, but it doesn't have to be a hardware controller like the OC200/300.  TPlink also provides, for free, software controllers than run on Windows or Linux OS and they also have a Cloud Controller offering now.  Personally, I either run my controllers on a Raspberry PI type platform (similar hardware as the OC200) using the free Linux controller in a Docker Container, or where available, on a Synology NAS, also using a Docker Container.  If you have a device that is running 24/7, you can probably find a way to install the free controller on that.  The controller gets you other benefits like fast/seamless roaming if your AP model supports that.

Just recently, the EAP615-wall joined the list of devices that can establish a mesh (first ever wall unit to be so capable).

Lastly, to be clear, DECO does not interoperate with EAP225's, for seamless operation it's one or the other.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-16 18:23:49
Thanks @d0ugmac1 Thanks for this. I do have a QNAP TS-431, and a headless Mac mini (2012 intel), both of which run always on, hopefully either of those would work, perhaps the QNAP. I have a Outdoor 225 V1 and a indoor 225 V2 that I want to run setup as a mesh network. Currently the 225 Outdoor is setup with the same SSID as my router (Fritzbox 7530) and with the right settings this seems to work fine, although I'm sure the swap over between the 2 networks isn't as smooth as it would be on mesh.
Options
2024-01-16 19:13:59

@nzben 

Understand that 'Mesh' is just the wireless backhaul of an AP's traffic.  The APs will work better if they are both wired.

Where I think you are going on this is that you want seamless roaming, and using the Controller to set up and manage the APs should facilitate this, but the AP's will need to be on the same layer 2 network (ie switchports on the same router sharing the same DHCP).

I'm sure your QNAP supports Docker and you could probably run Linux in a VM on the MIni and do a dedicated Linux install there.  Most of us here use mbentley's Omada image from the Docker repository, he's very quick to keep his container images updated, and they 'just work'.  Further the Docker images make for very simple upgrades.

Options
2024-01-16 19:44:11

@d0ugmac1

re: the comment you made about mesh just being the wireless backhaul.

my current setup, my Fritzbox is the modem/router - master if you like, and obviously wired from my fibre box - that creates a wifi network. The EAP225 Outdoor V1 is hard wired too, then the SSID name and password is set idential to the Fritzbox SSID. They are at opposite ends of the house.

As far as I can tell it works well and the devices switch between the networks depending on where you are in the house. The only thing I've done is tweaked the transmit power of the EAP225 down so it didn't overlap so much with the Fritzbox as this seemed to cause the Smart TV to disconnect occasionally. (and also restricted the bandwidth a bit)

The EAP225 Indoor V2 is arriving today and isn't in the system yet but will be soon, perhaps just to replace the Fritzbox as a WAP and Fritzbox will then be setup as Modem only.

So would mesh setup give me anything over and above this? I have been told that my setup is not "proper mesh" and mesh would be better, but I would still want to hard wire, and it does seem to work, giving me the full speed of my 300Mbit fibre connection. Both EAP225 units as described above would be hard wired with Cat 6 cable.

In regard to VMs on the mini and Docker on the QNAP, these are not anything I have done before - I'm sure I could figure it out given enough time - but if theres no real advantage over what I have its probably not worth the bother....

Thanks for your help.

B

Options
2024-01-16 20:10:56

@nzben 

Given the parts you will have on hand, I recommend disabling wifi on the Fritzbox, and replacing it's coverage with the incoming 225.  At the same time, updating firmware on the APs and running a soft controller on your QNAP will provide the best possible user experience.  I do recommend fixing your 2.4G channels at 20Mhz and manually selecting the channels as well (ie 1 6 or 11 based on local interferences--if you don't know what I"m talking about, see what channel the controller picks, and decide if that makes sense or not)  If you do run Wifi on the Fritz for say IOT devices, use a different SSID and a different channel so as not to interfere with what's going on in TPlink land.

I'll see if I can find something to help you get the Controller going.  If QNAP UI is anything like the Synology, it's pretty easy:

1. install Docker app on NAS

2. search for and download the mbentley/Omada Controller image, using the latest :tag (it will correctly download the arm64 binaries for you)

3. create a new container from the downloaded image and spin it up, I recommend 'host' networking the first time around, not 'bridge' for newbies

4. after about 15min, the docker image will have created it's located enviroment and MongoDB files and the web page will start responding https://nas.ip:8043

Follow standard Omada setup guides from there, which in your case really amounts to defining your LAN (subnet) and SSID/VLAN mappings then you can adopt your APs when ready.

Options
2024-01-16 20:58:14

@d0ugmac1 thanks, appreciate it.

Fritzbox = 5ghz only

EAP225 Outdoor = 5Ghz

+ 2.4Ghz to service a wireless printer that doesnt have 5 capability. It is restricted to 20Mhz, but I think channel select is on Auto and it does have the same SSID name so Il change that to be a descrete network...

Any help with the apps would be great, thanks again

Options
2024-01-16 21:14:25 - last edited 2024-01-16 21:15:40

@nzben 

Start here with your NAS

https://www_qnap._com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/how-to-use-container-station-3

Once Container Station is alive, go back to my steps above...ie find/download image, create container with 'host' network, start it up

Here's the docker hub link for the image you want:

https://hub.docker.com/r/mbentley/omada-controller#multi-arch-tags

Options
2024-01-17 20:46:19

@d0ugmac1 turns out my particular version of QNAP NAS is unable to run container station...

Options
2024-01-17 20:52:07

@nzben 

What is your particular version then?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 904

Replies: 22

Related Articles