TL-R480T+ driving me crazy to manage it from remote location via internet outside the local network

TL-R480T+ driving me crazy to manage it from remote location via internet outside the local network

2024-01-21 16:46:18 - last edited 2024-01-22 06:22:38
Tags: #remote management
Model: TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version: latest

Hello all,

i am reaching this community after i failed to get a solution from the very limited resources on the internet, majority provide videos on routers and not the switch  TL-R480T+

Also, i went through all manuals and configuration and i still cant get this thing to work

I have a switch  TL-R480T+ installed in my home country connected to a wireless access point (connected to the internet directly with dynamic IP)

I am living in a remote country. currently i am using teamviewer to access a local PC within my home network, from there i access the management consol of the  TL-R480T+ using 192.168.4.1 local address.

I want to directly access that same management page from the internet.

The manual is vague and does not provide details. on the remote mgmt page it asks for IP mask subnet... etc an says enter 210.10.10.0/24 or 2010.50.10.0/24 for remote.

in some sources i was told to use the public ip address i have where i am now instead and use port 80 or 8080 and then from my web browser i should enter the home local access 192.168.4.0 which i find awkward given my humbled knowldge. 

i tried to enter the public IP address of the PC at home location is showing and used http and https all ports combinations... nothing.

what am i missing? 

i hope someone can provide me with a detailed walkthrough to achive what i want.

thank you

P.S.: I use tplink tether and i manage 3 routers in that same location but the app does not seem to see or support the  TL-R480T+ 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re: TL-R480T+ driving me crazy to manage it from remote location via internet outside the local network-Solution
2024-01-22 06:22:29 - last edited 2024-01-22 06:22:38

Hi @Chadycom 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Tether is not a business product line app. This model you have does not support any kind of app.

2. If you seek a model that work with Tether which requires the Internet access and a TP-Link account, you should find a model in the home models.

3. About the remote access via the IP address of the router, you should first confirm if you have a public IP address.

If you can confirm you are reading a public IP here, which matches what you find on "what's my ip" on Google, you can proceed to the next step.

Set this up. If you are not using a static IP to access your router, you need to use 0.0.0.0/0, or if you know what you are dealing with the subnet, you can input the correct subnet.

After this, you access the WAN IP address and by default, by HTTP, you access your router's web admin page.

This is the only remote access via the public IP address.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re: TL-R480T+ driving me crazy to manage it from remote location via internet outside the local network-Solution
2024-01-22 06:22:29 - last edited 2024-01-22 06:22:38

Hi @Chadycom 

1. Tether is not a business product line app. This model you have does not support any kind of app.

2. If you seek a model that work with Tether which requires the Internet access and a TP-Link account, you should find a model in the home models.

3. About the remote access via the IP address of the router, you should first confirm if you have a public IP address.

If you can confirm you are reading a public IP here, which matches what you find on "what's my ip" on Google, you can proceed to the next step.

Set this up. If you are not using a static IP to access your router, you need to use 0.0.0.0/0, or if you know what you are dealing with the subnet, you can input the correct subnet.

After this, you access the WAN IP address and by default, by HTTP, you access your router's web admin page.

This is the only remote access via the public IP address.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re: TL-R480T+ driving me crazy to manage it from remote location via internet outside the local network
2024-01-22 13:24:00 - last edited 2024-01-22 13:50:58

@Clive_A 

Thank you very much for responding.

I followed your instruction, seems the switch is getting a local dynamic IP address from the main router where the internet is coming.

The 192.168.188.1 gateway belongs to that internet Mikrotik router set before the switch. However, i saw a Primary DNS address that looks public to me. Tried to use it and didnt work

I went to the remote management tab and created the subnet 0.0.0.0/0 as advised.

then tried to use the primary DNS address above using http and https and trying both with ports 443 and 80 and 8080 none seems to work

As you see below the WAN port we are talking about is set to Dynamic IP which is the reason why it gets the local IP address from the Mikrotik router. I dont know how to make it get a public IP.

In the internet router Mikrotik below screenshot there is also another public IP address, it tried using that one too. failed.

Is that a dead end you think?

thanks a lot

Options
Re: TL-R480T+ driving me crazy to manage it from remote location via internet outside the local network
2024-01-23 01:10:47

Hi @Chadycom 

So you should fix this IP issue before getting successful access to the remote management.

Chadycom wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you very much for responding.

I followed your instruction, seems the switch is getting a local dynamic IP address from the main router where the internet is coming.

The 192.168.188.1 gateway belongs to that internet Mikrotik router set before the switch. However, i saw a Primary DNS address that looks public to me. Tried to use it and didnt work

I went to the remote management tab and created the subnet 0.0.0.0/0 as advised.

then tried to use the primary DNS address above using http and https and trying both with ports 443 and 80 and 8080 none seems to work

As you see below the WAN port we are talking about is set to Dynamic IP which is the reason why it gets the local IP address from the Mikrotik router. I dont know how to make it get a public IP.

In the internet router Mikrotik below screenshot there is also another public IP address, it tried using that one too. failed.

Is that a dead end you think?

thanks a lot

I am not sure if your ISP is not handling public IP addresses for you. But now it looks like everything is under private subnets and there is no way that you can access it via the public IP address until you actually get one after your contact with your ISP.

Or if you have a public IP address but are setting the modem router as router mode instead of bridge mode, that might be another possible cause for this. You should contact the support of your ISP and the support of this modem router.

Now you should check what WAN IP you get from the Mikrotik. If that's also a private subnet or CGNAT, you should do the things above. That's no longer an issue with the router.

If your Mikrotik is getting a pub IP, you should port forward the LAN 192.168.88.254, port 80/443 on your Mikrotik. That should be the fix.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 256

Replies: 3

Tags

remote management
Related Articles