Multinetwork SSID issues and lost connetivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-29 18:58:41
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Back story is i have a Bell 3000 hub broadcasting the regular bell network for one office floor and that connects to an omada controller and 20 other EAPS on various floors.

The Bell modem is broadcasting its own private SSID for the main office and all the other EAPS are broadcasating a separate 2.4G and 5G SSIDs.

Total number of SSID including the one broadcasting from the BELL modem is 4 networks on 5G and 4 on 2.4G.

I have started to have in various locations (no real pattern) wifi signal drops where there is no internet access.

Now i thought maybe the modems SSID and the EAPS SSIDs are creating issues, but i am not sure. Could the signals from 2 separate hotspots create the dip in service?

One change i did make or in the process of: upgrading the internet connection from 1.5gbps to 3.0 gbps. This should be upgraded today.

My thought was there might not be enough bandwidth available for all the devices on the network.

I changed out one of the access points in the affected area with a new AX5400 thinking maybe there is an issue with the signal, but it hasnt fixed the issue.

Is there anything else that i could check?

The omada network is not meshed.

All wired connections are unaffected.

Running OC200 controller, jetstream switches x3, 17 EAP225 and 2 eap245 and 1 ax5400

Also would it be beneficial to just have the EAP's rebroadcaste the original bell modem SSID and scrap the extra SSID networks?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Multinetwork SSID issues and lost connetivity
2024-01-29 22:38:19

@Terran158 

Ok, a bit to unpack here.

Most current residential gateways from the Big 3 in Canada, Bell is no exception, absolutely *SPAM* the airwaves.  These devices have 5 or more radio modules inside them, less than half of which the user has control over.  What this means is that if you use the HH as one of your active APs, then in 2.4g band, that broadcasts on 1 of the 3 non-overlapping channels, and the internal hidden SSID (which I believe is for the TV) broadcasts on the second of 3 non-overlapping channels.  Same in the 5.8Ghz space, that HH is blasting on two channels, and usually the ones that permit the most power.  Via user control, you can disable the onboard 'user' radios, but that still leaves a 2.4G, 5.8G and a Zigbee or whatever going at full tilt.  Hate it.  My solution was to remove the ONT (fibre interface module, in SFP formfactor) from the HH3000 unit and using a media converter from TPlink, connect that to my ER605's WAN port.  You cannot do this with the HH4K and newer hubs...which you've probaby just upgraded to if you went past the 1.5Gbps speed which I think is the max for that Nokia ONT SFP module.  Rant mode off.  So yeah, keeping that residential box around in an enterprise environment isn't a great idea...not that you have much option sometimes.

My advice would be to extract the SFP from the HH3K if you still have that hub model and plug it direct into your Omada solution (I can share my configs etc...but it's pretty easy).  Failing that, I would disable all user WiFi on the HH box, and then build it a nice little cement house out of cinderblocks lined with tinfoil in the corner of your buiding basement...  A single Omada AP can replace what that box is doing with much more configurability and style and a cr4p ton less interference.

If you have IP TV boxes or heaven forbid Bell IP phone service...Omada can handle the split using the built in IPTV feature in the Omada gateways.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 268

Replies: 1

Related Articles