Routing packets from one WAN to the other WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-30 15:08:58
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3 Build 20231201 Rel.32918

We are using an ER605 to provide a guest network with its own IP range and DHCP server. This network is accessible via the LAN ports. The WAN port is connected to our main network (10.0.0.0/22), which has its own Internet access via a different router. The WAN/LAN1 port uses pppoe to connect to a fiber modem.

WAN: Our main network (10.0.0.0/22) with multplie systems including another Internet router.

WAN/LAN1: pppoe using a fiber modem.

LAN: 192.168.0.0./24 guest network with DHCP.

The guest LAN works fine and it uses the fiber connection for its Internet, unless this is down and then the LAN successfully uses the Internet of the main network.

We would like the main network (on the WAN port) to be able to use the fiber Internet (on the WAN/LAN1 port) as well, mainly as a backup option to provide Internet access for the main network. To do this the ER605 needs to route the packets from the WAN port to the WAN/LAN1 port. Is this possible? And if so, how do I make this happen?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Routing packets from one WAN to the other WAN
2024-01-31 02:49:16 - last edited 2024-01-31 02:51:06

Hi @BareMetal 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You should think about how you route the traffic even if this is possible. I don't spend time on this as far as I can tell, it sounds possible purely from the OSI and routing.

I don't think it is possible on ours. I think this is against the use.

Update:

In addition, if you can replace the main network(WAN) with ER605, why not?

Anyway, if this is even possible, you would add extra routes and make it less efficient. Just switch the whole network to ER605 and WAN and WAN/LAN1 to the modem and bridge mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Routing packets from one WAN to the other WAN
2024-01-31 16:39:12

Hello @Clive_A,

Thank you for your answer.

I'm unfortunately not allowed to merge the LAN (192.168) and the WAN (10.0) even though both are local.

It is of course possible to achieve by using two ER605 routers, which is what I may end up doing, but it would be more tidy if I could do it with just the one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 548

Replies: 2

Related Articles