Votes

enable backup possibility within Omada App

2024-01-31 22:24:23 - last edited 2024-02-02 02:19:30
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.26.3 build 20230906 Rel.36269

OC200 controller: enable backup possibility within Omada App (like web version)

Options
5 Reply
Re:enable backup possibility within Omada App
2024-02-01 02:29:56 - last edited 2024-02-01 02:36:37

Hi @RDB-ctrl 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

RDB-ctrl wrote

OC200 controller: enable backup possibility within Omada App (like web version)

Any specific scenario you would need this feature?

In addition, where should this backup go? Save to your phone?

Note that this is a local device in your LAN and the backup would be sent through our platform. This will cause the following issues:

1. Increase the service cost which we need to add to the bandwidth of our cloud platform.

2. If the cost is large, who would be paying for this cost?

3. Is it privacy-safe or okay for some countries? Does it violate the privacy laws? Because the backup contains the MAC addresses and other identification details.

If it is OC200, if you need to back it up, you should either use the USB drive as the backup path and power the OC200 by PoE. Or you use the micro USB to power and require a LAN device with SMB or FTP enabled or a local NAS. Micro USB powering does not work with the USB drive.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-01 08:33:01

@Clive_A 

hello, thank you for your response. I can imagine that if the router or switch were to lose its settings, it would be quick and easy to restore. A backup to the phone's local storage would be ideal (ASUS also uses this within the app) I now manually backup the network using the web version, unfortunately the automatic backup can only be made when the controller is powered by PoE and I can't use this because I'm using a USB power supply. Hopefully you can also change this so that an automatic backup can be made to a USB stick while the controller is powered from the mini USB connection. thanks again for your response

Options
2024-02-01 09:03:10

Hi @RDB-ctrl 

RDB-ctrl wrote

@Clive_A 

hello, thank you for your response. I can imagine that if the router or switch were to lose its settings, it would be quick and easy to restore. A backup to the phone's local storage would be ideal (ASUS also uses this within the app) I now manually backup the network using the web version, unfortunately the automatic backup can only be made when the controller is powered by PoE and I can't use this because I'm using a USB power supply. Hopefully you can also change this so that an automatic backup can be made to a USB stick while the controller is powered from the mini USB connection. thanks again for your response

That's not possible at all from the last USB powering. Hardware level. This was discussed before on the forum.

About the ASUS thing, it is not within our consideration. Beyond that, do you know any brands like Cisco or Meraki allow so? Do they allow you to back up via the app?

If you don't know about the privacy, that's okay. We can leave this open.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-01 11:22:53

@Clive_A 

I don't know if Cisco or Meraki this feature support but I don't see any problems to implement a backup possibility at al local storage (iPad or Phone)

and if you as a user can switch a radio button to enable or disable the feature it's up to you if you will use that or not. ( English is not my native language)

maybe you can consider this...

thanks a lot!

Options
2024-02-02 02:19:05

Hi @RDB-ctrl 

RDB-ctrl wrote

@Clive_A 

I don't know if Cisco or Meraki this feature support but I don't see any problems to implement a backup possibility at al local storage (iPad or Phone)

and if you as a user can switch a radio button to enable or disable the feature it's up to you if you will use that or not. ( English is not my native language)

maybe you can consider this...

thanks a lot!

I don't know if you get my point.

I totally understand that the ASUS doing this. But we are not the home products like ASUS.

• Our target people are business users which privacy may be a top concern. Backup would pass through our server which is what I am worried about in the previous replies.
  • This will increase the cost as well because the backup file is no smaller than the home products. It is the whole site backup.
  • It is not necessary to do so as you can PoE it and use the USB drive as the failsafe backup. You cannot use it because you are not using it the intended way we designed it. I totally understand that home users do not have a PoE switch. But that's not a concern from us because it is not the way that we expect you to use it.
  • The Omada app is designed to monitor instead of multi-tasking. That's not our design or concept of the app.

Appreciate the idea, but not really fit the whole concept of Omada. None of the business products are doing this as well. There is no point in commercial models. I get it that is helpful for home but not intended.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 199

Replies: 5

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.