Persistent DNS Proxy Issue with ER605 and AdGuard Home Integration
Persistent DNS Proxy Issue with ER605 and AdGuard Home Integration
2024-02-04 12:38:11
Tags: #DNS Proxy
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

Hi,

I am writing to seek assistance with an ongoing issue related to the DNS Proxy feature on my Omada ER605 router, which is affecting network stability and DNS functionality. My setup involves using AdGuard Home on a Dell Optiplex server running Proxmox as the primary DNS server for ad blocking and content filtering, managed through the Omada Software Controller hosted on my proxmox server, not hardware.

Network Configuration Details:

• Router IP: 192.168.1.1 (Omada ER605)
  • AdGuard Home Server IP: 192.168.1.10
  • Network Setup: The Omada Software Controller is used for configuration, specifically under Wired Connection > LAN Settings, where the DNS server is set to 192.168.1.1 only.
  • DNS Proxy Configuration: Within DNS Proxy settings, AdGuard Home (192.168.1.10) is configured as the primary DNS server, with 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) set as the fallback.

Issue Encountered: Despite configuring the DNS Proxy to fallback to 1.1.1.1 when AdGuard Home is unavailable, my devices do not revert to using AdGuard Home when it comes back online; they continue using Cloudflare DNS, bypassing AdGuard Home's ad blocking capabilities. Initially, I attempted to use both 192.168.1.10 and 1.1.1.1 as DNS servers in the Omada controller settings, but this led to devices connecting to Cloudflare directly, not through AdGuard, thus failing to block ads.

To mitigate AdGuard Home downtime, I currently use 192.168.1.1 in LAN settings as DNS, relying on the DNS Proxy feature with DNSSEC, specifying 192.168.1.10 for DNS queries with 1.1.1.1 as the fallback. However, the issue arises when AdGuard Home is restarted, devices stick with Cloudflare DNS rather than switching back to the main dns of AdGuard.

Additional Network Component: I also use a TP-Link TL-SG2008 switch within my network setup; I am unsure if this impacts the DNS behavior described.

Concerns and Questions:

1. How can I ensure that after AdGuard Home's service restoration, devices automatically revert to using it for DNS queries, rather than sticking with the fallback DNS server?
  2. Given that Omada currently does not support Local DNS resolution, I am compelled to rely on AdGuard Home for DNS rewriting. Is there a timeline for when Local DNS support might be integrated into Omada's features? This functionality is crucial for my network management, and I am hoping to avoid purchasing additional hardware solely for this purpose.

I am seeking your guidance and any available solutions or firmware updates to address these challenges, ensuring continuous and effective DNS management within my network setup using the Omada ER605 router and AdGuard Home.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response and assistance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Persistent DNS Proxy Issue with ER605 and AdGuard Home Integration
2024-02-06 12:54:45 - last edited 2024-02-07 13:21:28

Hello, is there support on this forum or?

@Clive_A?

Options
Re:Persistent DNS Proxy Issue with ER605 and AdGuard Home Integration
2024-02-23 12:37:11

I really need help with this. TP Link??

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 456

Replies: 2

Tags

DNS Proxy