Ports randomly stop working on the SG3210X-M2 switch NOT the SG3210XHP-M2 switch

Ports randomly stop working on the SG3210X-M2 switch NOT the SG3210XHP-M2 switch

2024-02-04 19:02:00 - last edited 2024-02-17 02:24:17
Tags: #SG3210X-M2
Model: TL-SG3210XHP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230725 Rel.71176

Hello,

I recently purchased the SG3210X-M2 Omada 8-Port 2.5G L2+ Managed Switch and lately it's been giving me a few issues. This is the non-PoE version switch which is similar to the SG3210XHP-M2 switch. I've noticed that whenever I connect a new device to a port, the switch randomly stops working with some devices already connected to it.

The switch is connected to my 6-port patch panel and the two remaining ports are directly connected to a Windows 11 laptop and Mac Mini M1. The patch panel has ports leading up to various areas of my home. For ease of reading, the following is how I have things connected.

Ports:

1 - Living room (no devices connected)

2 - Bonus room 1 (connected to an 8-port Unifi gigabit switch)

3 - Bonus room 2 (connected to a 2.5G port on mini PC with Proxmox)

4 - Bedroom 1 (connected to a Unifi U6-Long Range access point)

5 - Bedroom 2 (connected to a Brother multifunction printer)

6 - Master bedroom (no devices connected)

7 - Directly connected to a Mac Mini with a 2.5G Ethernet to USB adapter

8 - Directly connected to a Lenovo ThinkBook with a Gigabit Ethernet to USB adapter

SFP1 - Connected directly to Unifi Dream Machine Pro

SFP2 - No device connected

The other day I connected the Proxmox mini PC to the Bonus Room 2 port. For some reason I couldn't connect to any of the VMs or the Proxmox web management console. I even tried connecting the mini PC to the Unifi switch, but still no luck. A short while later I noticed I couldn't connect to my Mac Mini or Lenovo ThinkBook either. I tried a few things to troubleshoot the issue but nothing worked. I even disconnected the Proxmox mini PC but was still unable to connect to the Mac Mini or ThinkBook. Keep in mind, the Unifi access point and Unifi switch were still working because I was still able to access other devices on my network and the Internet through them.

Eventually I rebooted the SG3210X-M2 switch and that got everything working again. Then I connected the Proxmox mini PC and that also worked. A few hours later I remoted into the ThinkBook laptop and all of sudden the connection dropped. I switched the port the laptop was connected to to a different one, but still no luck. Then I tried switching the gigabit ethernet to USB adapter with different one I had, but still no luck. Oddly enough, the ethernet to USB adapters still worked fine when connected to other devices just not the ThinkBook laptop. Then I figured I'd try to reboot the SG3210X-M2 switch again because that worked last time and sure enough it worked again. The ThinkBook laptop was able to connect to the network again.

Everything appears to be working fine again but it's strange that I've experienced random disconnects with the SG3210X-M2 switch. The annoying part is that I've spent hours troubleshooting the issues because other devices were working just fine, only to realize that rebooting the switch fixes the issue. It's strange that some ports will work just fine and others won't. Is this a known issue that's being worked on? Will there be a firmware update to fix the issue? Please let me know.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ports randomly stop working on the SG3210X-M2 switch NOT the SG3210XHP-M2 switch-Solution
2024-02-06 05:25:21 - last edited 2024-02-17 02:24:17

Hi Clive,

So far everything's been working properly for the past few days after I restarted the switch the other day. It was the strangest behavior though. My patch panel is brand new with brand new cables going from it to the TP-Link switch. However, I did terminate the existing Cat5E cables that came installed in my home with keystone jacks in the patch panel. I've confirmed that each port was terminated correctly and can achieve gigabit speeds when I ran speedtests.

I can't really record what happened because it was a completely random problem that occurred. At first I thought it was an issue with the computers or the network cards/adapters but after spending hours troubleshooting the issue, restarting the switch fixed the problem I was experiencing. Keep in mind, I restarted my computers and the Dream Machine Pro several times before I restarted the TP-Link switch.

In any case what happened is that, the computers connected to the switch all of a sudden lost network connectivity after I connected the Linux system with Proxmox installed to the switch. My Windows 11 computer kept on saying it was trying to identify the network but never actually connected. The Mac Mini experienced a similar issue where it was physically connected to the switch but there's no network connectivity. Same with the Linux system running Proxmox. All three systems couldn't connect to the network even though they were all plugged in. They also lost the IP addresses given to them by the Dream Machine Pro (router). Two of the computers were directly connected to the switch without going through a patch panel too. When I checked the TP-Link web management console of the switch, the ports were showing that a device was connected.

As I previously indicated, after hours of troubleshooting I figured I'd try rebooting the switch since it was the only thing left for me to try. Sure enough that fixed the issue and all of my devices were working again. If the issue occurs again, I'll document what happened and upload everything to the forum. As of right now, everything is working properly.

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Ports randomly stop working on the SG3210X-M2 switch NOT the SG3210XHP-M2 switch
2024-02-05 02:03:25

Hi @G0tta_be_KD 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Do you have a video to illustrate the issue? This is too long to read and I have gone through it twice, I understand the description but I am not very convinced because it looks really strange.

Second, you have too many aspects to check in this. I recommend if you want to do troubleshooting, rule out the varients like the patch panel. And use new cables.

I think you should do the following checks:

0. Refer to the second point I mentioned above.

1. Run the ping at the same time and you do have a loss when a new device is plugged in?

G0tta_be_KD wrote

The other day I connected the Proxmox mini PC to the Bonus Room 2 port. For some reason I couldn't connect to any of the VMs or the Proxmox web management console. I even tried connecting the mini PC to the Unifi switch, but still no luck. A short while later I noticed I couldn't connect to my Mac Mini or Lenovo ThinkBook either. I tried a few things to troubleshoot the issue but nothing worked. I even disconnected the Proxmox mini PC but was still unable to connect to the Mac Mini or ThinkBook. Keep in mind, the Unifi access point and Unifi switch were still working because I was still able to access other devices on my network and the Internet through them.

2. And you also seem to experience the loss of an IP address? Devices are not getting the IP addresses? What is the result of ipconfig?

3. What is the port status during this happened? On and flashing or off?

I would like to see some simple and straightforward screenshots of ping to verify if there is still a connection. I am so far reading all the descriptions but do not have a step of troubleshooting with ping. I need to at least rule out the hardware issue with it.

4. Verify if you have a loop, I'd recommend you remove all of them and leave 2-3 and test it. If there is nothing wrong with fewer devices, but an issue appears when adding new devices, you might wanna check if there is a loop or not.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Ports randomly stop working on the SG3210X-M2 switch NOT the SG3210XHP-M2 switch-Solution
2024-02-06 05:25:21 - last edited 2024-02-17 02:24:17

Hi Clive,

So far everything's been working properly for the past few days after I restarted the switch the other day. It was the strangest behavior though. My patch panel is brand new with brand new cables going from it to the TP-Link switch. However, I did terminate the existing Cat5E cables that came installed in my home with keystone jacks in the patch panel. I've confirmed that each port was terminated correctly and can achieve gigabit speeds when I ran speedtests.

I can't really record what happened because it was a completely random problem that occurred. At first I thought it was an issue with the computers or the network cards/adapters but after spending hours troubleshooting the issue, restarting the switch fixed the problem I was experiencing. Keep in mind, I restarted my computers and the Dream Machine Pro several times before I restarted the TP-Link switch.

In any case what happened is that, the computers connected to the switch all of a sudden lost network connectivity after I connected the Linux system with Proxmox installed to the switch. My Windows 11 computer kept on saying it was trying to identify the network but never actually connected. The Mac Mini experienced a similar issue where it was physically connected to the switch but there's no network connectivity. Same with the Linux system running Proxmox. All three systems couldn't connect to the network even though they were all plugged in. They also lost the IP addresses given to them by the Dream Machine Pro (router). Two of the computers were directly connected to the switch without going through a patch panel too. When I checked the TP-Link web management console of the switch, the ports were showing that a device was connected.

As I previously indicated, after hours of troubleshooting I figured I'd try rebooting the switch since it was the only thing left for me to try. Sure enough that fixed the issue and all of my devices were working again. If the issue occurs again, I'll document what happened and upload everything to the forum. As of right now, everything is working properly.

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Ports randomly stop working on the SG3210X-M2 switch NOT the SG3210XHP-M2 switch
2024-02-06 07:43:53

@Clive_A I think I figured out what's happening. I just switched out a computer connected to one of the ports with a different computer using a brand new ethernet to USB adapter and ran into the same issue. The computer was trying to connect to the network but was unable to again.

I logged into the TP-Link web management console for the switch and noticed the MAC address assigned to the port was still the one from the computer I disconnected. The switch didn't update the MAC address to the new one connected to that port. When i checked on my MacBook I confirmed the new MAC address of the network adapter was different than the one connected to the port in the web management console of the switch. Since I know that rebooting the switch fixes the issue, I rebooted it and then my MacBook successfully connected to the network. When I checked the TP-Link web management console again, I noticed the MAC address assigned to the port updated to the MAC address of the network adapter connected my MacBook.

It appears that the switch ports lock onto the first MAC address connected to it. If you connect an unknown MAC address to the port, it won't receive network connectivity until the switch is rebooted.

Question, how do I configure the switch so that it auto updates the MAC address connected to that port? If I connect a new network adapter with an unknown MAC address, I shouldn't have to reboot the switch every time. Is there a setting on the switch that needs to be changed? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Options
2024-02-11 12:03:42

@G0tta_be_KD 

Mac address was supposed to be auto renew. Guess you have configured something else? Mac address learning? Or port security?

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-11 12:09:23

@Tedd404 

I don't. All ports are set to disabled under Port Security. However in an effort to try and fix the issue myself the other day, I enabled it on all ports, saved the change, and then disabled it again. So far things have been working fine, but I won't know for sure until I receive something with a new MAC address that needs to be plugged into one of the ports.

The last resort will be to factory reset the switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 287

Replies: 5

Tags

SG3210X-M2
Related Articles