Plex & Sonos, apple functions not working when using Omada software controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-09 02:56:00
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.12.30.4

Hi, I have the following setup:

EAP245 (POE ethernet)

EAP225 Outdoor (POE ethernet)

Mac Mini Headless Server (ethernet), running Plex and Docker + Omada Software Controller

LG Smart TV (running plex app (via wifi)

Generic unmanaged DLink Switch

Sonos Beam Soundbar (ethernet)

Sonos various other speakers (wifi)

Various Mac Laptops (wifi)

Various iphones (wifi)

Both EAPs are setup via the software controller with the same SSID running on 5GHZ, wtih fast roaming enabled. Once I have this up and going the following dont work:

All Sonos speakers system shows up as no hardware connected in app

Plex app on smart TV doesnt work - connects but cant access any media on the mac mini. (as a note I can get Plex app to work via an ethernet connected PS4)

Handoff between iphone devices and laptops wont work - eg can't receive or make calls (via phone) on laptop, can't copy something on the laptop and paste it on the phone, use the phone as a remote camera for the laptop, etc.

Laptop can wirelessly connect to the mac mini for drive access, however it can't remote control (share screen)

As soon as I connect to another hidden network (not Omada gear) I have, everything listed above works as it should.

I've now diconnected "forgotten" the EAPs from the software controller and reset everything so the 2 EAPs have the same SSID name and password but are running independently (ie the software controller is no longer used) and suddenly everything works again as it should.

Ideally I would like the controller to be doing the management so I can use fast roaming, however everything working properly is the priority. Is this a know issue? Would the same thing be happening if I was to use the OC200 Hardware controller?

Thanks

BR 

Options
12 Reply
Re:Plex & Sonos, apple functions not working when using Omada software controller
2024-02-10 14:14:54

@nzben 

I assume you meant 5.13.30.4?

Sounds like it could be a PMF (protected management frame) thing (set it to 'Capable' in your controller)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Plex & Sonos, apple functions not working when using Omada software controller
2024-02-13 20:53:02

@d0ugmac1 appears that this doenst fix it. I'm trawling the interweb but can't find any reference to these issues directly..

Options
2024-02-13 21:05:44

@nzben

I wonder if you have maybe enabled VLAN tagging of the SSID traffic, and your unmanaged switch isn't configured to untag appropriately.  Are you able to do a Wireshark capture? 

Options
2024-02-13 21:43:57

@d0ugmac1 do you think these issues would still be there using a hardware contoller OC200?

Options
2024-02-13 21:48:38

@d0ugmac1 I cant find any option for VLAN tagging, but in under the wireless netwrok just under "boardcast SSID" there is an option for VLAN 0 which is disabled, so I presume that tagging wouldnt be enabled as well

Options
2024-02-13 22:28:12

@nzben 

I think if you Disable VLAN here (red arrow below, you should be ok). You may want to power cycle the APs after making this change.

Note the warning about meshing without using different VLANs though!

I worry the message above may imply you need to move your management VLAN for each AP in their config menu, if you don't tag the SSID traffic.  This would all get sorted for you with an Omada router or switch in your setup by the controller.

m

Options
2024-02-14 00:52:00

@d0ugmac1 the VLAN settings in both of these places is disabled by default

Options
2024-02-14 00:52:44

@d0ugmac1 the VLAn setting in both of these places is disabled by default

Options
2024-02-14 12:07:57

@nzben I think a packet capture from a port of the unmanaged switch is really needed to understand what is going on once the controller provisions the APs.  You would be looking to see if packets coming from the APs have 802.1q VLAN headers, and if those headers are different between AP-controller traffic and user-AP traffic.

Alternatively, as I imagine you are getting to the end of your rope, replacing the switch with an SG2008(P if POE needed) will likely resolve your issues under controller mgmt.

Options
2024-02-14 19:57:46

@d0ugmac1 OUt of interest, the setup is ONT - Fritzbox modem - DLink 16 port switch.

The Fritzbox has 4 ethernet ports, 1 of which is used to feed in the signal from the ONT, one of the other 3 feeds the Dlink switch which breaks out to various wired devices, the other 2 feed the 2 EAPs (via POE injectors).

IN this way neither of the EAPs are goiing via the switch.

Options