Which outdoor access point to extend existing Omada mesh?

2024-02-10 15:45:09 - last edited 2 weeks ago

At the moment I have the topology

Gateway->cable-> EAP225 indoor -> WLAN -> EAP225 outdoor with an Omada software controler on a Windows PC.

I want to extend the outdoor range in my garden with another outdoor access point. I cannot really find out myself, which one will be the most suitable one.

Mostly 2-3 clients will be served in the last extension area 

1. Another EAP225 outdoor?

2. EAP610 outdoor (what would be the advantage over 1?)?

3. EAP110 outdoor with only 2,4GHz band ?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Which outdoor access point to extend existing Omada mesh?-Solution
2024-02-12 20:57:38 - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Franz47 

Get another EAP225-outdoor as you'll want support for things like fast roaming etc as you move in and out of the building.  Pretty sure the 110 doesn't do that nor will it--I'd guess it's on the edge of obsolescence as it is, and oh, btw, it won't mesh with your 225 either! There's no need to spend on a 600 series AP for your application.  I love my EAP225's :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-13 13:00:07 - last edited 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the inputs. As soon as the garden season starts, I will get another EAP225-outdoor.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Which outdoor access point to extend existing Omada mesh?
2024-02-11 20:20:35 - last edited 2024-02-12 15:38:36

@Franz47

If you don't need WI-fI 6 in that area you can go with EAP225 outdoor.

If you don't need 5GHz band at all in that area you can go with EAP110 outdoor.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-12 20:57:38 - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Franz47 

Get another EAP225-outdoor as you'll want support for things like fast roaming etc as you move in and out of the building.  Pretty sure the 110 doesn't do that nor will it--I'd guess it's on the edge of obsolescence as it is, and oh, btw, it won't mesh with your 225 either! There's no need to spend on a 600 series AP for your application.  I love my EAP225's :)

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-13 13:00:07 - last edited 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the inputs. As soon as the garden season starts, I will get another EAP225-outdoor.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

Now I have installed the second EAP225 outdoor and it works ok. What I am not sure about - how should I adjust the antennas to get maximum speed

Options
2 weeks ago

@Franz47 

What you are looking for is unobstructed direct line of sight between the APs, ideally with the antennas in parallel planes to each other.  An initial gauge of quality will be the signal strength reported on the Uplink by the controller for the garden AP.  Numbers closer to 0 are better (ie -56 is much better than -83).  One other thing to consider is if you have neighbours broadcasting on the same channel as you are using for the Mesh (in which case moving the garden AP farther away from the interference should improve things).

Next, you want to look at the Topology Map on the controller WITH labels enabled.  That will show you the modulation rates on the mesh links in Mbps...the higher the better :). You may want to monitor this on dry days, wet days, windy days.

You will always get lower performance on the garden AP than either of the others due to the delay involved with receiving and re-forwarding packets in both directions.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the explanation!

Do the different two antennas have different function? E.g. one for for traffic to/from the upper mesh access point and one for traffic to/from the clients ? Left? Right?

Options
2 weeks ago

@Franz47 think of them more like your ears, you can hear with just one, but you can hear better with both, and even narrow down the direction of the sound.  They work together in other words.

Often radio hardware will think of the two antennas differently, calling one Main and the other Diversity, in this case the radio internals need at least the Main port connected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 295

Replies: 7

Related Articles