Multiple Wifi SSID/Multiple VLAN´s

2024-02-10 22:24:05 - last edited 2024-02-19 06:01:11
Tags: #MultipleVlan
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:
I= would like to improve the home network, I want to separate it into VLAN's.

I see that I need the following hardware items:

- 1 controller (oc 200)
- 1 router (er 605)
- 1 manageable switch (jetstream, not sure about the model yet, could you please help on that?)
- 1 access point (not sure about the model yet)

However, I want to check where I can save money and I'm unsure about the following parts:

The "controller" (oc 200), can I install the software on a PC, make a configuration that it needs to work with the router, AP and switch, and then turn off the "controller"? If not, does it work well in a raspberry pi 4? I have one here.

About the Switch, do I really need it? I saw that the router has 5 ports(er 605), as for now I will not have multiple internet providers, I understand that only port 1 will be in use to connect to the Modem, then I will still have 4 ports available, where on port 2 I would connect the access point, 3 my PC (it would be in the same vlan as the home network), 4 my work notebook (it would be in a home office vlan), and there is still port 5 left.

The access point, do I really need a manageable one to create a wifi network for each vlan? I plan to have one VLAN for IOT, one for visitors, one for domestic use and one for my home office. I have an archer c80, I found this material here and thought it might work on my archer c80, but I didn't find the option on the router settings to have multiple WIFI networks for different vlans. https://www.tp-link.com/br/support/faq/418/

Thank you all!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Multiple Wifi SSID/Multiple VLAN´s-Solution
2024-02-11 05:06:30 - last edited 2024-02-19 06:01:11

@Bruno-Soares You will need an AP that supports SSID to VLAN (Omada does), a managed switch, and router that supports VLANs.  You don't technically have to have a controller, and it doesn't have to be TP-Link (for example, I use Omada APs with a Cisco switch at one of my offices).  With that said, it will be easier to manage if you use all Omada.  This assumes you are using a single AP to broadcast multiple VLANs.  I suppose you could use multiple dumb AP's and use the switch to assign VLANs to the SSID, but that seems unnecessarily complicated.

If ALL you are doing is VLANs, then I believe you could shut down the controller and be fine (could be wrong on that).  I also think you could use a Raspberry Pi for the Controller.  I have never used one for anything, but I think you should be able to put Ubuntu on it (or whatever) and install the Controller.  There are hoops to jump through though about installing the Controller on Linux.  Not hard, but it's also not as easy as sudo apt install xxxxx either.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-11 17:01:24 - last edited 2024-02-19 06:01:14

@Bruno-Soares 

As above, easiest if everything talks the same language and one central point of control.  You can run the free software controller on your laptop, a VM, a Raspberry Pi (if you want to do wireless backhaul aka mesh, then your controller needs to be up 24/7).  I posted a thread on how to build an OC200 clone, via an RPi clone...about $55 USD all in.

The router can block subnet to subnet, but is useless at single IPs or ports.  That functionality is possible with the Omada controlled switch.  Switches are also a really convenient way to power and monitor your attached APs (via POE).  It can also power the OC200 hardware controller (otherwise you will need a USB-5V adapter.

Your fastest path to gratification is ER605v2 + OC200 + either SG2008P or SG2210P (I recommend the 2210P) and your choice of APs.  If you have a solid background in L2 and L3 networking feel free to roll your own Franken-net, but I wouldn't bother with the controller at that point unless you really understand what it can actually do for you and what you will have to manually configure in the router and the switch yourself.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2024-02-11 05:06:30 - last edited 2024-02-19 06:01:11

@Bruno-Soares You will need an AP that supports SSID to VLAN (Omada does), a managed switch, and router that supports VLANs.  You don't technically have to have a controller, and it doesn't have to be TP-Link (for example, I use Omada APs with a Cisco switch at one of my offices).  With that said, it will be easier to manage if you use all Omada.  This assumes you are using a single AP to broadcast multiple VLANs.  I suppose you could use multiple dumb AP's and use the switch to assign VLANs to the SSID, but that seems unnecessarily complicated.

If ALL you are doing is VLANs, then I believe you could shut down the controller and be fine (could be wrong on that).  I also think you could use a Raspberry Pi for the Controller.  I have never used one for anything, but I think you should be able to put Ubuntu on it (or whatever) and install the Controller.  There are hoops to jump through though about installing the Controller on Linux.  Not hard, but it's also not as easy as sudo apt install xxxxx either.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Multiple Wifi SSID/Multiple VLAN´s
2024-02-11 13:58:16

@muzicman0 

The only part that I didn´t get is why the need of a switch.

Thank you!

Options
2024-02-11 16:25:38

@Bruno-Soares The AP's would plug into the switch.  If your router has switch ports, then you could plug them into those (assuming they support VLAN trunks), but it's still a switch either way.  So the topology is:

Wireless AP  -->  Switch  --> Router.

Options
2024-02-11 17:01:24 - last edited 2024-02-19 06:01:14

@Bruno-Soares 

As above, easiest if everything talks the same language and one central point of control.  You can run the free software controller on your laptop, a VM, a Raspberry Pi (if you want to do wireless backhaul aka mesh, then your controller needs to be up 24/7).  I posted a thread on how to build an OC200 clone, via an RPi clone...about $55 USD all in.

The router can block subnet to subnet, but is useless at single IPs or ports.  That functionality is possible with the Omada controlled switch.  Switches are also a really convenient way to power and monitor your attached APs (via POE).  It can also power the OC200 hardware controller (otherwise you will need a USB-5V adapter.

Your fastest path to gratification is ER605v2 + OC200 + either SG2008P or SG2210P (I recommend the 2210P) and your choice of APs.  If you have a solid background in L2 and L3 networking feel free to roll your own Franken-net, but I wouldn't bother with the controller at that point unless you really understand what it can actually do for you and what you will have to manually configure in the router and the switch yourself.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-16 11:23:47

Hey all! thank you for all the inputs! helped a lot!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 281

Replies: 5

Tags

MultipleVlan
Related Articles