EAP225 permament reset to factory settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-22 06:49:50
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello

My EAP225 seems to be failured. From Sunday yellow led has started to blink. I have reseted device. Then after adopting to OMADA controller after a few minutes it resets again, brings back factory settings and try to pending and I Have to adopt it again and again.

I have changed firmware and it does not help. Then I have changed power source and situation is still the same. After adopting it resets after few minutes and needs to be adopted again.

It looks like some electronics problems. Maybe there is some capacitor failure that has to be replaced?

Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP225 permament reset to factory settings
2024-02-22 13:46:28

@LukePL 

Agree.  You have done all the right things except maybe try a known good cable?  If a second power supply and a new cable doesn't stabilize things, then I agree you have internal issues.  Are you running off POE or a DC adapter?  You could always try the other option just to be 100% sure.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-22 20:41:27

@d0ugmac1 

I have used POE from switch and also POE from external originsl tp-link power source.

There is np DC socket on EAP225. Onluly POE.

Effect on both the same, always resetting device.

Options
2024-02-22 20:59:44

@LukePL 

If you think the device would stay up long enough to do a firmware load, you could try that as a last ditch effort.  You may want to experiment a little and see if it stays up longer after it's been off for a while, or off for a while and chilling in your fridge :)  I would use a few cycles to default the device to standalone mode, and sort of practice the the steps needed to reload firmware so you don't waste any time on the production run.  Obviously if it taps out mid-flash, it will truly be bricked...so don't attempt if you can't live with that.

There's a github project that shows the basics of how to dismantle the EAP225-outdoor...maybe the visual will show something or maybe it won't.

Options
2024-02-25 21:24:32

@d0ugmac1 

After freezing 24 hours in my fridge my EAP225 has stopped resetting and now is working continuesly more than two days uptill now.

I will se how long will it work without but IT looks good now.

It is strange a bit for me why freezing could help?

Options
2024-02-26 04:36:18

@LukePL 

Regarding the 'freeze' approach, there are a couple of reasons.  Initially, components which may be failing due to overtemp should last longer if they start at 0'C, often long enough to do the firmware reflash.  In your case a second aspect may come into play, the mechanical contraction of chilling, may have improved a marginal electrical connection somewhere, this is not a long term fix, just a happy discovery.  I think the most likely reason though, is that by simply plugging and unplugging the cable connector to chilli it, has cleaned or improved the contact of one or more of the pins in the ethernet jack, this should be a permanent fix if the case.  Take the win :)

Options
2024-02-26 05:52:55

@d0ugmac1 

Bufore putting in the fridge I have plugged and unplugged RJ connector many times. 

d0ugmac1 wrote

@LukePL 

Regarding the 'freeze' approach, there are a couple of reasons.  Initially, components which may be failing due to overtemp should last longer if they start at 0'C, often long enough to do the firmware reflash.  In your case a second aspect may come into play, the mechanical contraction of chilling, may have improved a marginal electrical connection somewhere, this is not a long term fix, just a happy discovery.  I think the most likely reason though, is that by simply plugging and unplugging the cable connector to chilli it, has cleaned or improved the contact of one or more of the pins in the ethernet jack, this should be a permanent fix if the case.  Take the win :)

Options
2024-02-27 14:17:05

@LukePL 

If you are convinced that it wasn't the cable/connector, then you may be dealing with a marginal electrical connection (like a bad solder joint).  In this case, normal repeat thermal cycles (ie weather/seasons) or mechanical shocks are likely to cause the issue to reappear, you can wait, or you can test the theory (I would, and I'd probably take the mechanical approach, using something wooden to hit the device multiply from many different orientations to see if you can get it to reboot).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 761

Replies: 7

Related Articles