SG200Pv3 DHCP issues
SG200Pv3 DHCP issues
2024-02-28 09:59:44 - last edited 2024-02-29 09:34:52
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.20.1 build 20240115

Hi

My network is as follows:

• ISP provided Arris Router/Modem. The device does not do anything other then serve as the gateway to the internet
  • SG2008P switch that connects all the devices, including two EAP615. The switch is the DHCP server.
  • 2 x EAP615 for the Wi-Fi
  • Omada SDN for Windows v5.13.30.8 on a PC

The issues is the DHCP. What I want is the following:

1. Use a range to assign to various devices, like wireless etc - for example 192.168.0.40-192.168.0.120
  2. Have an unused range to be assigned to devices that need a fixed IP. The assignment should happen based on the MAC address.

What happens is the following:

• In Omada I cannot find a way to define a limited range. I go to Devices --> Configuration --> IP Settings and all I find are the options to put a static IP for the switch and to activate it as a DHCP Server. Then I can set the IP address, but it will take the entire range and will always start at 192.168.0.1, not 192.168.0.40
  • Because I cannot exclude some addresses from the range, it seems the switch is not signing the IP addresses correctly on the basis of IP address. Under Settings --> Services I have defined the link between IP and MAC address, but many devices do not get their assigned IP. Instead some random device uses it and prevents the assigned device from taking the spot.

What am I missing here? Is Omada SDN not the right tool for the job and I should use the standard web interface instead? Anyone have a similar issue and found a solution? Thank you for your help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:SG200Pv3 DHCP issues-Solution
2024-02-29 02:01:24 - last edited 2024-02-29 09:34:52

Hi @PepsiCan 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. You are missing the Omada router. The features you used for DHCP reserve are router proprietary.

2. Try to use the switch standalone and configure the DHCP reservation and DHCP server on it. That should work great to meet all your requirements.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:SG200Pv3 DHCP issues-Solution
2024-02-29 02:01:24 - last edited 2024-02-29 09:34:52

Hi @PepsiCan 

1. You are missing the Omada router. The features you used for DHCP reserve are router proprietary.

2. Try to use the switch standalone and configure the DHCP reservation and DHCP server on it. That should work great to meet all your requirements.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:SG200Pv3 DHCP issues
2024-02-29 09:34:37
Hi Clive_A Thank you for your reply. It clears things up. 1. Omada is not yet feature complete with regards to Smart Switches 2. I need to make a choice: - Run my Access Points in Omada and the Switch in standalone. But I don't know how feasible/easy it is to run the two management softwares side by side. And gives Omada is not yet feature complete, perhaps I am missing options for the Access Points as well that I am not aware of. - Run everything in standalone mode and leave Omada for now. This will add slightly to the complexity of managing things, especially in relation to the Access Points. Thanks for any advice.
Options
Re:SG200Pv3 DHCP issues
2024-03-01 02:01:40

Hi @PepsiCan 

PepsiCan wrote

Hi Clive_A Thank you for your reply. It clears things up. 1. Omada is not yet feature complete with regards to Smart Switches 2. I need to make a choice: - Run my Access Points in Omada and the Switch in standalone. But I don't know how feasible/easy it is to run the two management softwares side by side. And gives Omada is not yet feature complete, perhaps I am missing options for the Access Points as well that I am not aware of. - Run everything in standalone mode and leave Omada for now. This will add slightly to the complexity of managing things, especially in relation to the Access Points. Thanks for any advice.

So, first, you gotta understand that the controller is for centralized management, some jobs are meant to be done by the router. Some by the switch. For the DHCP, you want to be that specific, you need to do it in standalone or get the Omada router which allows the VLAN int and you can set it up to a specific range.

If you want to keep the Omada integration, so get an Omada router and let it host the DHCP. Everything stays in the Omada solution.

About the other ways, running the switch in standalone mode would not hurt anything at all. Just you need to log in to the switch for some configuration needed in the future. But you are not gonna always log into it, aren't you? The frequency would be very low after you have properly configured them. Even if you need to, you just log in to it. You don't need to log in to the router, the frequency would be the same as the router. It does not add the burden AFAICS.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 153

Replies: 3

Related Articles