DHCP lease list - Custom name ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-28 14:36:57
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.1 Build 20240110 Rel.42816

Hi,

Is someone considering having possibility to give machines my own "Names"  or "Descriptions"  belonging to certain MAC addresses?

When I overlook the DHCP leases in my LAN, sometimes I know what machine it is because it has good hostname.

Often however the hosname is confusing  and cannot be changed on the device.

I would welcome if I can maintain some list of MAC-Description database on the router and if I could then see the description with the machines with leased IP.

That would make life so easy !

It is a new feature request / a wish I believe more people would be happy with.

Have a nice day

Filip

Options
8 Reply
Re:DHCP lease list - Custom name ?
2024-02-28 14:42:03
it may even be part of DHCP reservation list, e.g. "with unfilled IP address" or some similar form - main thing is to make clear to admin which stations are really connected
Options
2024-02-29 01:11:29

Hi @Filip009 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

For the "displayed" MAC address which is completely unknown to you, blame this on the manufacturers of these products.

e.g. Apple, I use an iPhone or any Apple product in the Omada network, and it ALWAYS displays the MAC address. Reason why? Apple privacy measures! Virtual MAC address to protect your privacy!

Same thing with Android, and Windows. So, if that's a problem, remove that. There is no way to fix it from the networking level. It's a client's move.

Controller mode, you can rename, that'll be manual. Click the client and go to Config > Name.

There is no MAC address table/database. If it is a trusted network, you should not even enable the virtual MAC address. Without it, names should be displayed properly.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-29 07:36:44

@Filip009 

well, if we are in some political party forum, I 'd be gladly blaming someone or something that it does not correspond to my dreams

however, we are technical forum here

note, the suggested DB does not even "solve" the "if unknown" issue, but rather solves "once found, easy to maintain", in another words "needs pen and paper" issue

this means, the reality is, I have full house of devices whose hostname cannot be changed, the dream "I wish it would not be so"  is a dream only

and I as admin would have much easier life, if the "DHCP device" were able to maintain such a database and showed it seamlessly

do you try to tell me that privacy is the reason why it is not present at the router and it is intentionally not there ?

Options
2024-02-29 07:45:33

Hi @Filip009

Filip009 wrote

@Filip009 

well, if we are in some political party forum, I 'd be gladly blaming someone or something that it does not correspond to my dreams

however, we are technical forum here

note, the suggested DB does not even "solve" the "if unknown" issue, but rather solves "once found, easy to maintain", in another words "needs pen and paper" issue

this means, the reality is, I have full house of devices whose hostname cannot be changed, the dream "I wish it would not be so"  is a dream only

and I as admin would have much easier life, if the "DHCP device" were able to maintain such a database and showed it seamlessly

do you try to tell me that privacy is the reason why it is not present at the router and it is intentionally not there ?

Are you asking for a feature or saying there is an issue with the name display? It is not clear in your texts and you did not express it well.

Sounds like a feature request. The current system can allow you to change the name of a device. But it does not maintain a database and I don't see a reason why from the business-grade level.

In a trusted network, there would not be a problem with the MAC address or virtual MAC which means the hostname would display correctly most of the time.

What I learned is that most IoT does not display its hostname(name) correctly. If you are referring to your devices as IoT, usually requires a manual rename on the router page. Most cellphones, pads and computers display the hostname correctly.

What is your case?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-29 08:17:58

@Clive_A 

soory, I maybe was not quite clear

in fact I was having feature request

it means, I never would suggest to "rename" or change something at client side - it does not technically have any sense

I rather manage house full of devices, many ar IP cameras, robotic things, gaming whatever console, chinese whatever gadgets among normal Windows/Android devices.

MAC address is somethigng that "never" changes. I mean if you really want you can fake it at some device but that is not my point at all.

And when I troubleshoot newtwork or want to see which devices are there, I often see a list of some weird names and spend useless time to search my MAC db somewhere else to find out who it is.

You are right, technically, it is "trusted" network in sense who else got there.

Even recently with my old device I even were not able to separate guests into different subnet, which now solves many issues.

Even now, I have not finished migrating these devices into separate network which they shall be in properly.

But still. It seems to me obvious that such a feature "must" be there like I am surprised noone ever did not need it. Because MAC is what determines "what" the device  is.

Example: my internet seemed terribly slow. It may be uplink was slow. But it may be some device took too much bandwith. I checked the IP stats and tried to find the devices. Life would be a bit easiser with suggested mini-db.

Have a nice day

Options
2024-03-01 02:15:47

Hi @Filip009 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Filip009 wrote

@Clive_A 

soory, I maybe was not quite clear

in fact I was having feature request

it means, I never would suggest to "rename" or change something at client side - it does not technically have any sense

I rather manage house full of devices, many ar IP cameras, robotic things, gaming whatever console, chinese whatever gadgets among normal Windows/Android devices.

MAC address is somethigng that "never" changes. I mean if you really want you can fake it at some device but that is not my point at all.

And when I troubleshoot newtwork or want to see which devices are there, I often see a list of some weird names and spend useless time to search my MAC db somewhere else to find out who it is.

You are right, technically, it is "trusted" network in sense who else got there.

Even recently with my old device I even were not able to separate guests into different subnet, which now solves many issues.

Even now, I have not finished migrating these devices into separate network which they shall be in properly.

But still. It seems to me obvious that such a feature "must" be there like I am surprised noone ever did not need it. Because MAC is what determines "what" the device  is.

Example: my internet seemed terribly slow. It may be uplink was slow. But it may be some device took too much bandwith. I checked the IP stats and tried to find the devices. Life would be a bit easiser with suggested mini-db.

Have a nice day

That's expected in the highlight part. You have to manually change the name and maintain it.

The feature in the client config allows you to change the name manually and maintain it. That's why there is an IT guy in every department for maintenance and management.

So, since you have made it clear that you are requesting a feature, by any chance, what brand do you know that can keep a list or database like that? What's the proper name for that feature? Except for the client config like what we have now.

TBH, I don't know it and I don't ever see such a feature. If you can point that out, that would be great for me to do further research and the feedback.

Options
2024-03-01 07:39:20

@Filip009 

Hi Clive_A,

I read your response several times and I do not quite understand the reasoning

1. Quite often it is really not possible or easy to change hostname with many devices (not PCa and phones)

2. Quite often each user is admin of his own device and is able to change the hostname and really does it unpredictably

3. Quite often, if there is IT guy, his goals may be different than Network's guy

What I meant, of course, was not to remove real hostname.

Neither touch it in any sense.

What I meant was add something like "MAC address name" and show it seamlessly e.g. in DHCP lease column. I may have had confusing explanation.

There is anyway a db of MAC-IP reservations - one possibility is to use it more widely in this sense. Another technical option would be separate small db.

I realize how "not easy" to implement it is to be real production code. Every code you introduce may complicate to maintain it in the future. When requesting, I was rather sceptical and I was expecting not to be implemented. I was however wondering that never anyone mentioned this as useful so far.

Regarding your question about which brand has this feature, to be honest I do not know. I had some trainings regarding cisco, aruba, HP networking devices (3com, Procurve). Maybe even none of them. I do not remember. I was describing my need I have over years of managing small home network.

Managing small business network may pose slightly different challenges. Maybe less IOT or similar weird devices and more control over real hostnames. But still this may be useful.

For example, by assigning certain strings to certain MACs, net guy can observe some pattern in DHCP leases and decide to move all laptops to another subnet after some time they grow in number. Or similar.

Options
2024-03-01 07:57:15

I realize I have for example some chinese IP cams. They are extremely difficult and unprofessional in terms of how to even connect to them. I have maybe unique situation because I like to try different  cheap noname cameras and from networking point they are hell bad to manage.

Often rely on some chinese cloud. Often have weird hostnames. And to be able to see them in DHCP list  which one is which would be great when I troubleshoot if one fails which is outside for example when it freezes outside and I need to look at connectivity level. If you buy 20 IP cams from single vendor, then you perhaps use vendor's tool to scan and assign IPs. But the budget is elsewhere.

But generally this is something that I feel for years that I miss at the DHCP side and I wonder

"one day, cars will fly"

and

"one day, producers of switches enable to give MAC names". 

Cars do not fly yet.

Maybe I will die without seeing both :-)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 459

Replies: 8

Related Articles