Externally triggered shutdown of WiFi from multiple EAPs

2024-02-28 14:45:37
Model: EAP653   EAP650-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I'm planning to equip our Smarthome with OMADA network technology. The proposed devices include the ER707-M2 router, TL-SG3428 and TL-SG2210MP switches, and EAP653 and EAP650-Outdoor access points. I would like to deactivate the Wi-Fi during times when no one is at home or during the night. Since these times vary significantly, setting up a fixed time schedule is not feasible. I would prefer to disable the Wi-Fi of the EAPs through an external trigger from the Smart Home system (connected via LAN). Unfortunately, I haven't found any information on how to achieve this yet. 

In a further expansion stage, the Wi-Fi is intended to be completely deactivated on some EAPs, while on others, only specific SSIDs should be turned off.

Can you help me figure out the best way to implement this?

Thank you.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Externally triggered shutdown of WiFi from multiple EAPs
2024-02-28 17:25:54

@MS_At 

Two immediate thoughts.

1. consider the silent 2210P instead of the 2210MP because the latter has fans, even if it means buying an extra switch.

2. have you looked into the Controller API to see if you can control POE port power or AP VLAN profiles?  Could probably bolt something up with IFTT or similar.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-28 19:59:12

@d0ugmac1

Thank you for your reply,

since all the components will be in an 19" rack in a separated room in the basement, where several other fans and motors are already running (PV system, heat pump), I am not concerned about the fan. My thought was that the 2210MP has the power connector on the back, while the plug on the 2210P is located on the same side as the interfaces.

I will take a closer look at the POE port power control and the AP VLAN profils, thank you.

Options
2024-02-28 20:18:26

@MS_At 

LOL, lucky you with your own personal server room :) 

If the noise isn't an issue, then full speed ahead, in fact, maybe consider the SG-3210XHP-M2 and get some 2.5G POE ports ready for Wifi7 capable APs.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-28 20:27:00

@d0ugmac1 

I think that would be a little bit of an overkill, at least for the moment. To fully utilize the capabilities of the SG-3210XHP-M2, I would also need to switch to the ER8411 (10 Gbps SFP+ slots )...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 163

Replies: 4

Related Articles