Purple WiFi - Portal SSL

Purple WiFi - Portal SSL

Purple WiFi - Portal SSL
Purple WiFi - Portal SSL
2024-03-01 10:28:11
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Latest - Linux

Hi All,

Having problems getting Purple WiFi working with Omada V5.

I have tried both with an A record and a valid HTTPS certificate and via the public IP. Purple WiFi require the network traffic comes from a valid host name (a record and host-name was set in the controller and on Ubuntu host file)

The first sign in part works fine, however on the re-direction (uses the portal re-direction below) I've tried an SSL for both the domain and public IP.

Soon as the portal attempts to re-direct the traffic is pointed to the public IP and not the domain. 

Does anyone know if there is a work around for this, or if this is by design and has anyone had any luck on getting it adjusted. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Purple WiFi - Portal SSL
2024-03-13 16:57:10

@Daniel-G95 

Hi

I've also been on this topic for a while (https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/654496)

For the moment we have not found a solution, according to TP Link support, "For the moment, there is no way to indicate to the controller the domain name for the portal. The option hostname/IP of the controller you used only applies to the RADIUS portal"

They offered me an alternative solution "For your case, I suggest you configure Nginx as a proxy on your server and redirect traffic from the public IP address to the domain name as follows: " which suggests to I feel that this functionality should be integrated in future versions.

We tested equivalent directives with Apache (we do not use ngnix on our Ubuntu 22.04 srv) but without success. Unable to force redirection Omada always uses public IP by default.

What is really incomprehensible is that if I replace the public IP address with my custom domain name in the captive portal URL, everything works fine, I can connect to the portal and the login window takes care of it. loads the https certificate.

I'm continuing to investigate and will let you know if I manage to find a solution.

Options