Votes

Tailscale support

Tailscale support
Tailscale support
2024-03-03 12:42:32
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Plain Wireguard support is slowly taking shape, but would be awesome would be support for running tailscale.

This would enable businesses to let their ER8411 be part of their VPN Mesh and serve as a potential exit server.

Options
13 Reply
Re:Tailscale support
2024-03-04 02:47:56

Hi @s42p 

You can upvote here.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/602870

Something similar to this request.

Let me ask this first, if there is a problem with the relay server on Tailscale, most users would think this is a problem with us. Most users would lack knowledge and ability to fix problems like this and most cannot figure out subnetting. Shall we tech support them with Tailscale-related questions?

However, not having a public IP address to host a VPN server seems to be a problem that needs to be fixed first. It indeed saves your money but from my point of view, it would only increase the queries on "how to fix it" and "bug with Omada tailscale". This does not seem to benefit our reputation.

The router is set to be a router hosting a VPN server or to be a client in a business network. Charge-free. Tailscale got a free plan but if it is indeed like what you said for a business environment, they would go for the plan. This would cost extra money as well.

This might shock people who don't know Tailscale and would ask us again why it charges for advanced features. Of course, it is not a move by us but it will arise questions in the foreseeable future.

Second, like the first one I wrote, it is on the relay server. So, what is the potential legal issue in this? If there is a data leak, will it be us to take responsibility for inviting a function with a third-party relay server?

I am aware that you can host one yourself. But, of course, most people on this forum do not know what to do. And it will still cost you money to host a VPS.

What else does it do besides set up an IPsec to form a mesh?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-15 17:38:36

@s42p 

I second this. Being able to run tailscale on the ER8411 would be a great feature as it is a VPN just like WireGuard or OpenVPN

Options
RE:Tailscale support
2024-05-21 14:54:10
having tailscale on omada would be great
Options
RE:<span class='search-highlight'>Tailscale</span> support
2024-07-11 14:52:13
This would be great to have!
Options
2024-07-16 22:20:21

Absolutely need Tailscale support! Would greatly help people with homelabs and other setups!

Options
2024-07-22 08:13:57
please add
Options
2024-08-02 07:57:26 - last edited 2024-08-02 07:58:31

Nice idea !

Tailscale support is a New killer features for network security.

Tailscale + omada is so terrible!

+1

Options
2 weeks ago

@s42p 

+1

Options
2 weeks ago

@s42p 

+1

Wireguard (currently using) requires a lot of knowledge to get it working in an environment..

Tailscale is actually much much easier for most people, and making VPN access easier means people are less likely to bend the rules when it comes to good VPN usage.

Just this morning, I have ChannelsDVR I've been asked to get working remotely, it supports Tailscale so I could immediately protect it behind that, the only other option is the horrible mechanism of just having to port forward from the WAN to an IP/Port... 

This is a common thing, I currently have many cloudflare tunnels and apps defined to protect remote access to ensure I have maximum protection/rules and no direct access to my WAN IP, if I could switch to Tailscale on the router, wow.. no more cloudflare tunnels.

Options
a week ago
would be nice
Options

Information

Helpful: 12

Views: 1622

Replies: 13

Voters 12

+ 8 Voters