Votes

Request for Consistent Port Labeling in the Controller UI

2024-03-05 19:54:04
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.12.7

In the Omada controller UI page for VLAN configuration, the LAN interfaces section has several checkboxes for selection. However, the numbering of the options do not correspond to the port numbering on the ER605 router. For example, the presented checkbox options in my case are:

• WAN/LAN2
  • LAN1
  • LAN2

In contrast, the ports are physically labed on the ER605 as follows:

• WAN 1 
  • WAN / LAN 2 
  • WAN / LAN 3 
  • LAN 4 
  • LAN 5

I was confused about the naming, and a support ticket response helped to clarify my understanding. The response on the ticket was:

The controller is categorizing ports based on their type. LAN 4 & 5 ports will be shown as LAN 1&2 because they're the only 2 LAN ports. So the controller considers LAN4 as the first port in LAN ports series and LAN5 as the second port.

I'm creating this thread in case the explanation helpful to others, and to also make a request to change the naming of the ports in the UI to match the physical labels on the device.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Request for Consistent Port Labeling in the Controller UI
2024-03-06 03:01:44

Hi @patrium 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

My question is, the controller can recognize the model, do you set your model correctly? Or did you set it to universal?

Second, I think the ticket reply is pretty clear and plain.

Physically, it is 1 to 5. So, the reading is 1-5. When you are asked, you tell the port 1 2 3 4, and 5 by the numbers. But there are WAN/LAN interchangeable ports and the controller cannot properly tell it unless you set it to either WAN or LAN. How is it supposed to label it when you did not configure it?

WAN is WAN. WAN/LAN is WAN/LAN. LAN is LAN. So, there are three categories in the software. So it starts from 1 and counts on every category. It also needs to comply with the WAN settings if you take a look at them. Does this make sense to you in understanding the rep's reply?

So, it should be named like you said, WAN/LAN 2? WAN > WAN/LAN2 > WAN/LAN3? Is this better in your understanding?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Request for Consistent Port Labeling in the Controller UI
2024-03-06 04:14:36 - last edited 2024-03-06 06:09:30

@Clive_A 

(Quoting your comments in bold & italic)

My question is, the controller can recognize the model, do you set your model correctly? Or did you set it to universal?

The router was recognized in the UI as the ER605, so I did not specifically set the model.

But there are WAN/LAN interchangeable ports and the controller cannot properly tell it unless you set it to either WAN or LAN. How is it supposed to label it when you did not configure it?

Sure, the ports are interchangeable, but it's not clear to me why the numbering should depend on how the ports are set?

So, there are three categories in the software. So it starts from 1 and counts on every category.

I think what you're saying is that the counting for the labeling starts at 1 for each category, which also follows what the support ticket said.

So, it should be named like you said, WAN/LAN 2? WAN > WAN/LAN2 > WAN/LAN3? Is this better in your understanding?

Maybe an example would help here, and please let me know if there's an issue with my approach. As with the original post, the ports on the ER605 are physically labeled as:

• WAN 1 
  • WAN / LAN 2 
  • WAN / LAN 3 
  • LAN 4 
  • LAN 5

and I've configured the controller / wiring so that the port labeled "WAN 1" connects to my primary internet modem, and the port labeled "WAN / LAN 2" connects to my backup internet modem. Then, I would have expected the check boxes to be:

• WAN / LAN 3 
  • LAN 4 
  • LAN 5
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 119

Replies: 2

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.