Votes

Mid-and longterm TP-Link Omada Router Upgrade - Add additional SFP+/10gb, High Availability

Votes

Mid-and longterm TP-Link Omada Router Upgrade - Add additional SFP+/10gb, High Availability

2024-03-06 10:40:11
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

To increase network resilience and stability, I would like to suggest further developments steps beyond the current TP-Link Omada ER8411 P-Link Omada Router,

Feature 1: Update Multiple-WAN Hardware for 10GB speed setting by providing at least 3 SFP+ cages (today: 2) and at least one 10gb RJ45-Ethernet port (today: None).

In such a setting, high-speed fail-over redundancy is increased (multiple 10gb lines in) and at least one 10gb LAN can be serviced.

In a future step, SFP+ cages should be replaced with SFP28 cages or even QSFP28 (100gbs) to match growing availability in some urban settings of 25gbs, 40gbs and 100gbs ISP offerings. 

I understand that these features demand significant HW efforts and, therefore, time. These investments would become especially valuable when combined with the following:

Feature 2:  Update for High-Availability, so that a second router can be added to the network for hot standby.

Comment: In TP-Link Omada promotional materials, there is a reference to an updated ER8411, but it mentions the addition of 2.5gb Ethernet ports (either Non-POE or POE+) and Controller facilities. A first switch with 4 SFP28 ports is also reported in the same material from Omada Presentation from TP-Link Russia February 2024.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Mid-and longterm TP-Link Omada Router Upgrade - Add additional SFP+/10gb, High Availability
2024-03-07 02:17:13

Hi @ReadMagnus 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, good ideas from you.

I'd say 10Gb RJ45 is probably not considered. Reason why? Heat from it. Maybe overheat from 10Gb RJ45. It may pose a problem. If it is gonna be 10G RJ45, I think that'll be a new model with all 10G RJ45 and SFP+.

Second, to me, it does not make sense for a 10G RJ45. So, if you have 3 SFP+, why would you need a RJ45? SFP would be better than RJ45. Even if you need an RJ45, get a module into the SFP. SFP would be more versatile.

25G and 100G, that's far away for us. That's not your or my concern as well. That's the company and market team's decision. They'll respond to the needs of the market.

If you are a target user for 25G and 100G, I believe you can afford a dedicated server with multiple lanes of PCIE and can afford Intel 25G and 100G SFP PCIE card.

That would need a powerful horse to pull it. I also believe if your ISP provides a modem router for that, that would be a customized model.

We have not gone so far into that reign. Or it is not open to the consumer market. (We have ISP-grade products and Omada Pro. They aren't open to the consumer but to 2B users or contract users. We develop customized models for them as well.)

About your second proposal, do you have any idea how our competitor does this? Availability and function name?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Mid-and longterm TP-Link Omada Router Upgrade - Add additional SFP+/10gb, High Availability
2024-03-08 15:47:15

CISCO HA Design and Configuration  @Clive_A 

- First proposal: More 10gb WLAN/LAN connections

Fully agree with your comments RJ45 10gb. The more SFP+ cages the better, no need for RJ45 then

- Second proposal

If only know HA from CISCO, having it implemented with seocnd-hand gear as per Cisco HA Design and Implementation.

I fully understand your remarks re: SMB and Large-Scale Business Lines. My comments were mostly made in view of having been asked re: installations in small- to medium-size hotels where guest demand huge WIFI capacity and high-availabilty precludes negative social media comments from short-stay customers. The OMADA SDN features (now including IDS/IDP) are fitting the bill at a significant price discount.

Options
2024-03-11 06:54:36

Hi @ReadMagnus

Thanks for your comments on this. Since the forum cannot work with the marketing and project team, I think you may write your suggestions to the local TP-Link and see if they can forward your suggestions to a higher level.

Mostly, we work with the dev and test team for product improvement and testing. Rarely get an email conversation with the PM and marketing team. This would be most helpful to the market team to see the rising requests for more powerful products.

Thanks for your understanding on this matter.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 159

Replies: 3

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.