UK BT IPTV and Omada

UK BT IPTV and Omada

UK BT IPTV and Omada
UK BT IPTV and Omada
2024-03-06 16:31:37
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

I am attempting to get my network running IPTV from BT/EE. 

I have IGMP Snooping enabled for the LAN network and i have IGMP proxy enabled with the port set to the WAN port that is connected to my BR Broadband connection. 

This doesn't appear to work, the TV channels still fail to load. 

The EE TV box is connected via a cable to my a SG2008P v3.20, this in turn is uplinked to my main switch which is a SG2218 v1.20 and that in turn uses the ER7206 as the internet breakout all hardwired together. 

I can't see any other IGMP settings and enabling the IPTV option in the router shouldn't be required as I understand it. 

Has anyone ever got this sort of setup working? 

Options
9 Reply
Re:UK BT IPTV and Omada
2024-03-07 03:35:49

Hi @Martin_S 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Instead, you should set up the IPTV. Have you set it up? Does the ISP require you to enable IGMP? Any specific docs from them?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-07 09:01:51

@Clive_A I tried it but whenever I set the IPTV side to be the LAN adapter that points to my internal network the internal network loses connectivity. 

From what I've been reading this is expected as it isolates the IPTV network to avoid IGMP flooding.

I also don't think it's needed as it's currently disabled and with the ISP router infront of my router everything works which means the IGMP propogation across the routers interfaces in to the network is working fine. Just the Omada router doesn't capture the iGMP streams when it has the PPPOE interface up.

Options
2024-03-07 09:08:07

Hi @Martin_S 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Martin_S wrote

@Clive_A I tried it but whenever I set the IPTV side to be the LAN adapter that points to my internal network the internal network loses connectivity. 

From what I've been reading this is expected as it isolates the IPTV network to avoid IGMP flooding.

I also don't think it's needed as it's currently disabled and with the ISP router infront of my router everything works which means the IGMP propogation across the routers interfaces in to the network is working fine. Just the Omada router doesn't capture the iGMP streams when it has the PPPOE interface up.

So, I am not interested in argument. Can you Wireshark to prove what you described? That'll be some concrete stuff I can believe and we can move on after you do this.

I have not checked how you configured it and I don't know what your ISP requires for the IPTV. I cannot take your words now.

If you don't wanna show me these, just show me the Wireshark and how you tested it. If there is a problem, I'll share it with the dev.

BTW, you should think about how to Wireshark it. You say it comes from the WAN, ISP, so, you might need to mirror and capture the WAN. See what comes from your ISP. Filter use igmp. Verify if there is IGMP from the WAN. Then, enable the IGMP on the router and capture from the TV port.

Just a brief mindnote. I don't take other aspect into consideration as I don't have the same information as you do.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

How to Use Port Mirror to Capture Packets in the Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-07 10:03:22

@Clive_A Okay, I tried the IPTV option with both LAN set to Internet and there was no change. 

I've also now taken packet captures in the following scenarios - 

1. ISP Router in place between ONT and ER7206 WAN2. (192.168.0.1) ER7206 WAN Port set to DHCP. TV Works perfectly.

I mirrored the WAN port and did a capture with IGMP filter. I also mirrored the LAN port and did a capture with IGMP filter. Both files are combined in the archive DHCP.zip attached. During both I changed channel on the TV to try and force some traffic.

2. ISP Router disconnected. ER7206 connected directly from WAN 2 to ONT and WAN 2 set to PPPOE and configured.

I did the same process, I mirrored the WAN port and did a capture, then did a LAN port and did a capture same as above while change channels on the TV. 

This is combined in the PPPOE.zip archive. I can't attach that in this response so will add it in the next.

File:
DHCP.zipDownload
Options
2024-03-07 10:03:53

PPPOE Archive attached to this post.

File:
PPPOE.zipDownload
Options
2024-03-07 11:28:16

@Martin_S 

Maybe worth looking at this thread https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/594038

Whilst its related to an ER605 , I suspect the ER7206 is similar.

Options
2024-03-07 11:38:30

@MisterW thanks, I've read that thread and the correlating one from the same user on the BT TV forum.

i tried implementing the secondary IP as mentioned but it takes Internet down on my LAN side although WAN stays up.

ive messaged the user direct to see if I can clarify the settings they used and any other changes made.

Options
2024-03-07 12:30:33

@Martin_S 

i tried implementing the secondary IP as mentioned but it takes Internet down on my LAN side although WAN stays up.

Sounds like its trying use use the secondary IP connection as the default route, you might need to modify some routing...

Options
2024-03-07 12:32:26
Yeah, it did feel like a routing issue. WAN connectivity was fine though, that's why I messaged that user just to see exactly what they did.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 376

Replies: 9

Related Articles