Get the internet consumption per vlan
Get the internet consumption per vlan
2024-03-08 22:04:13 - last edited 2024-03-08 22:05:35
Tags: #vlan
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.28.2 Build 20240110 Rel.78776

Hello,

I'm looking to gather information on internet bandwidth consumption per VLAN. Each VLAN hosts different clients, and some are disputing the available internet bandwidth allocated to them. I'm attempting to access this information through my OC200 controller. Currently, the only data available pertains to "ISP load." Any guidance on obtaining bandwidth consumption per VLAN through GUI or CLI, would be greatly appreciated.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Get the internet consumption per vlan
2024-03-09 13:28:36

@blindox 

Perhaps the Site's 'Clients' table?  Add the 'VLAN' column and then sort by VLAN.  You can extract current bitrate as well as aggregate.  Probably extract the table into Excel and massage it a bit more if you needed to.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-03-09 14:33:28 - last edited 2024-03-09 15:51:41

@d0ugmac1 

Firstly thanks for your reply.

The problem that I have with that option is that the Download activity also consider the intranet traffic. So, just for an example, that was my activity download just using my web browser:

And this one is just after I started to transfer a file from my NAS to my PC:

As you see, just after I download a file from my NAS it counts on the "Activity Download Speed". 
In my case it will not be useful because my clients have Data Storage on each VLAN so, as they are always transferring some file to their storage this traffic could not be presented as proof

If you have any idea to how obtain the WAN traffic on each VLAN it will more than helpful.

Options
2024-03-09 17:05:53

@blindox 

I do not believe the Omada controller goes to this level of granularity at this time.  Perhaps suggest it in the Requests & Suggestions forums? 

The only thing I can think of is maybe to put a cheap (SG2008?) Omada-controlled switch between the 7206 and your primary switch.  You would then map port profiles on the SG2008 such that each VLAN has its own cable between the SG2008 and the 7206 (obviously you need 1 LAN port on the 7206 for each VLAN your want to measure).  You can then use the Insights->Switch Status page to view what each VLAN is sending north through the router (of course this only works if your subscribers local storage doesn't require inter-VLAN routing on the 7206 for their local resources).

So imagine an SG2008 with a trunk port (VLAN profile = ALL) pointed downstream at your switch(es), servers and APs, and then several ports, each dedicated (and tagged) to a single VLAN and physically connected 1:1 to a unique LAN port on the 7206 (and one more for your management VLAN), you would get stats as below

Of course this may not work for your setup at all.

Options
2024-03-11 14:23:18

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for share your solution!

This is a configuration that I could implementate but, let me know your opinion, do you think that Omada Controller will have this option implementated in the future or does this go beyond what tplink proposes?

Options
2024-03-11 15:09:00

@blindox 

Happy you found my idea useful.  I can see the utility of this funcitionality on a broader scope, as there are many people here that run multi-tenant wifi solutions and who might find it useful to provide per tenant reporting.  I think the issue will come down to the ability of the software in the router to separate out the information, because it requires the software and hardware to interact, and if there is to be any performance at all, the hardware has to do much of the heavy lifting (work).  That's why I suggested the 'insert a switch' approach, as I don't think the switch hardware integrated into any of the Omada routers would be capable of this (TPlink can feel free to prove me wrong!).

You can try posting it as a feature enhancement, but I would not count on it coming down the development pipe any time soon.  The $100 switch should get you there a lot sooner.

Options
2024-03-19 12:40:15

@d0ugmac1 

Could you recommend a router that I can add to my TP-Link infrastructure (of course, not controlled by the Oc200 controller) infrastructure that allows remote access via a cloud-based solution and provides graphical representation of VLAN consumption? This demand is very hurge for me.

Thanks.

Options
2024-03-19 14:21:51 - last edited 2024-03-19 14:23:40

@blindox 

You can actually get what you need from even the most basic of TPlink routers...below I show the ER605v1 (the original ugly stepchild router now discontinued) being monitored via SNMP using the free LibreNMS solution running in docker containers (any small linux based box will do).  Advantage here is you get realtime plus historicals, and you can expose the UI via a port forward and so 'access' it via the web.  You can also create tiered user access...thus potentially given some of your clients access to their realtime stats.

Sadly, this partticular site is dormant, so not much going on traffic wise, but enough that you can see the utility.

Lastly, the good news is that the info (counters) already exists so TPlink *could* incorporate this info into the Omada controller.

First the 'combined' graphs:

and then if you want to break it down by VLANs

Options
2024-03-19 15:18:04

@d0ugmac1 thanks for sharing your time and knowledge with me.

I did not know about the discontinuation of the ER605 V1. I have this equipament installed and most of my envoriments. It was exchanged by the  V2 ?

I will configure the LIbreNMS on docker. I made a quick research and checked that it is very simimilar to the Cactis and Observium.

For now I do not have the SNMP enabled. I am thinking here that I will need to configure a Wiredguard VPN to have acess to the SNMP as I want to configure my LibreNMS on AWS. I can also use my Asustor NAS to storage a local LibreNMS through docker but, with the LibreNMS on cloud I could configure it to obtain more all the different locations (vessels), right? . Just to you understand better my envoriment. I have vessels with the Omada solution and now I have more than 1 client on some, so now these new clients are demanding the internet consumption per hour and each client is configured with a specific vlan.

Once that my router is adopted by my controller can I still get this info from it ?

Options
2024-03-19 17:20:53 - last edited 2024-03-19 17:21:54

@blindox 

Happy to share.

Yes, the ER605v1 has not seen any development in a long time (basically its resources are maxed out).  For instance, it will never get Wireguard or DPI.  I too have a load of these devices, which with a monthly reboot schedule (because of a memory leak they never could fix) and the latest firmware are (still) good enough for small sites.  The ER605v2 is quite a step up and should have a longer happier lifetime as well as handling Wireguard.

LibreNMS is apparently the community version of Observium (or a fork thereof).  It's running here on a local Synology NAS (you don't want to run it on SSDs...lot of drive r/w's).  I was using it to track long term memory consumption, and just never tore it down :)

You can enable SNMP under the Omada Controller...that's how I have mine setup.  The stats I shared above are actually from a remote site, connected via L2TP/IPsec.  The SNMP access is independent of the controller, so you'll be fine.

Honestly, I'd run it locally and use the NAS to proxy connections via AWS.  It's also easier to debug :). Once you get it running, then you can transistion to a cloud instance.

With a little futzing around you could probaby create some customized reports per VLAN and then give your users read/only access to just that report.  More importantly you can show historicals and generate averages, uptimes etc.

Options
2024-03-26 13:30:23

Hi,  @d0ugmac1  !

Hope that you are doing well.

Do you mind to share with me your config on LibreNMS to get the traffic per VLAN ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 337

Replies: 11

Tags

vlan
Related Articles