End of life of new 683LR Model

2024-03-09 23:30:53 - last edited 2024-03-09 23:44:06
Model: EAP683 LR  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hello,

recently i bought a 683 LR and it never worked Well till today (Frame Drops, fallback to adopting Mode,..). I was very suprised to see that the 683 LR is now listed as "End of life". On the German Homepage the 683 LR is gone and is replaced with a 683 UR but you could still buy the 683 LR.

How do you plan to recall the never working 683 LR and give the Customer the Money back for the dead birth product?

Options
11 Reply
Re:End of life of new 683LR Model
2024-03-11 09:08:17

@TOC1337 

Can you please give more details about the problem (frame drops, fallback to adopting mode)?

Even though the product shows "End of Life", it is still under warranty. So there's nothing to worry about. Also, the market may still have some of it in stock. Customer can still buy it.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-11 19:59:25 - last edited 2024-03-11 22:13:14

I'm also having massive issue with the new EAP683 LR v1. I have even bought a second one to test,as I couldn't believe it, but it shows the exact same issue, and considering other posts of people having had similar connectivity issues with it, there is a strong believe that this AP model must have some serious technical flaws.

My devices are showing some sort of ethernet port flapping, After endless resets, reboots & cold starts of the APs and also the router or the switch, it happens rarely that the AP suddenly appears to run somewhat stable for some time, until it begins first with ocassional link losses which then become more and more over time until it starts to even reduce the port speed from 2.5Gbps to 1Gbps and then even down to 100Mbps until it normalizes again. But honestly, nobody wants to run such an AP with a 100Mbps link to a router/switch.

I'm having these link issues with both brand new APs connected to different router and swicthes, on different ports (even tried a RJ45 SFP+ module) and also used different POE+ injectors (2.5Gbps as well as an older 1Gbps).

Tried all the firmware versions available, even the 1.0.90 Build 20240111 Rel. 55986(4555) beta provided in one of the posts here in this forum, but issue remains.

I've to admit I'm iusing two VLANs assigned to two different SSIDs.

Before the EAP683 LR I used an EAP330v2 on the same router/switch, ports and same POE+ injectors, and that AP is (still) showing an absolutely stable ETH link (even when agregating both ETH ports). This prooves that the problem isn't caused by any of my other equipment I use in my network.

Would appreciate to see a clear and honest statement from TP-Link which indicates whether we should return this model and get it replaced by another one which is deemed to be stable. To be honest, I do not have any hope anymore that these connectivity issue will ever be sorted for this model, because I haven't seen yet any working solution provided to the other chaps who reported similar issues earlier, and weeks respectively months passed since first reports.

btw: both devices are showing dropped and even few errored Rx packets on the LAN interface, where as the EAP330 didn't show any alltough been up for months since last reboot.

Options
2024-03-12 00:57:35

@JZtes 

From your description, it seems this access point has a hardware issue. You can contact our technical support to replace this product.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/replacement-warranty/

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-12 07:27:12 - last edited 2024-03-12 15:34:29

@Hank21 

Thank you for your response.

Well, as I've explained, I bought later on a second device of the same unit, and it is showing the exact same symptoms. I can't imagine that both are having the same hardware issue, except the whole batch our local reseller did recieve is affected of it.

By the way, what's actually the difference between the LR and the UR models? A comparison on the Omada WiFi product site didn't discover any obvious differences, thus really interested in knowing why TP-Link is going to release the UR and at the same time discontinuing the LR version, which appears to be a obvious replacement of the LR version after only few months of product life.

Options
2024-03-13 02:45:21 - last edited 2024-03-13 09:39:02

Hi @JZtes 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

JZtes wrote

@Hank21 

Thank you for your response.

Well, as I've explained, I bought later on a second device of the same unit, and it is showing the exact same symptoms. I can't imagine that both are having the same hardware issue, except the whole batch our local reseller did recieve is affected of it.

By the way, what's actually the difference between the LR and the UR models? A comparison on the Omada WiFi product site didn't discover any obvious differences, thus really interested in knowing why TP-Link is going to release the UR and at the same time discontinuing the LR version, which appears to be a obvious replacement of the LR version after only few months of product life.

There is no difference in LR and UR. It's just a marketing strategy from the market team. No difference in performance. Just a revision.

Any EAPXX3 is a revision of the original model without the power adapter. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-13 16:56:26

@Hank21 

I had a eap 653 before and used it for WLAN and VR Gaming (WIFI). About the better performance figures i bought the 683 LR because it was and is still available to buy. With that accesspoint i had stutterings without ending. It was not playable with VR (PICO 4). Random disconnects from WIFI are hourly base. I tried all your new 683 LR firmware and omada access software updates to solve the problem. Till today i have still problems and always when i compare it to my 653 the performance is bad and i need to reconnect multiple times per day. I miss also the "interference" options.

I was shocked when i have seen last week that the EAP 863 LR was removed from the German Homepage and on the Englisch one it shows "End-of-Life". Are you serios?

I bought this AP in November 2023 for 200 € and in March you defined this product as "End-of-Life"? Really? So what is the problem with the Device and why you are removing the EAP 683 LR and bring the EAP 683 UR? What will happen with the LR customers?

TP-Link team, i think you are not playing real and you will not be honest with your customers.

I would like to have a working, stable firmware like the EAP 653 or a refund for this Product. Btw.: Other users have the same issues with the 683 LR: https://www.reddit.com/r/TPLink_Omada/comments/17io7t0/eap683_lr_info/ This is just one Thread about the 683 LR.

Options
2024-03-14 06:47:53 - last edited 2024-03-14 11:50:44

@TOC1337 

EAP683 UR and EAP683 LR should behave the same in functionality and features. As for EOL, you may check this FAQ you will find this doesn't affect anything even though it's been marked as EOL.

Regarding the issue you're reporting, can you please confirm whether the dropouts happen on the 2.4G or 5G network? Please specify the frequency of the dropouts. Also, provide more details on how you power and manage it. Additionally, please indicate the number of clients connected to the Access Point.

Options
2024-03-15 18:19:43 - last edited 2024-03-17 21:57:59

@Hank21 

After further excessive troubleshooting attempts I seem to have found the cause of my issue. It looks like that the EAP683 LR works reliably only with the 1G/2.5Gbase-TX link mode, where as it is entirely unusable when using the 1G/2.5Gbase-T link mode.

It's pretty unfortunate that the "Auto Negotiation" seems to end up in 99% of the cases with the base-T mode, and only occasionally with the base-TX. Disabling Auto Negotiation and to fix the mode manually to 2.5G base-TX appears to be the solution in my case. However, only about 24hrs have passed since I've figured that out, thus don't have yet a long term proof.

But that issue happens only with the EAP683 LE, and I can't tell whether it's only happening with certain combinations of AP & router/Switch brands or more of a general topic. But I can tell for sure that I've experienced this issue only since I attempt to take use of the EAP683 LR, hence ist must be something very specific with this device. Can you please get this clarified and confirm the link modes supported by this AP model?

UPDATE:

72hrs passed since and still working fine with forced link mode -TX.

Options
2024-03-19 01:49:03

@JZtes 

To help us locate the issue you mentioned, could you please provide more information? Specifically, how do you power the device and what type of cable do you use?  Additionally, could you explain how you change the mode and provide a screenshot of it? Does the client frequently disconnect from the AP? If so, what is the LED status of the unit when it disconnects? Does it still power on properly? 

Options
2024-03-19 23:17:28

@Hank21 

Hi Hank21, I'm happy to give the needed answers, here you go:

how do you power the device?
with a IEEE 802.3at 2.5 Gigabit 30W PoE+ Injektor -> Edimax Pro GP-201IT, but also tried the older GP-101I with same result

what type of cable do you use?
Patchcable Cat 6A, S/FTP, cable type: CU 7702 flex 4P (Category 7), tried different cables of same quality

could you explain how you change the mode and provide a screenshot of it?
In the port conifguration on the router/switch (Mikrotik CCR2004 & CRS309)

working config:

non-working config:

Does the client frequently disconnect from the AP?

No, when the AP loses its link on the ETH port, all clients conencted via WiFi remain connected to the AP

If so, what is the LED status of the unit when it disconnects?

I turned off the lED in the config of the AP, the LED did not light up or flash when the ETH disconnects occur

Does it still power on properly?

The AP remains running and powered on when the issue occurs. At some point it is possible to connect to the AP and open up its web config again. Its log does not indicate that it had an issue or that a reboot had occured. Soft reboots  or power cycle didn''t show any issues and the AP has always  powered up or rebooted fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1003

Replies: 11

Related Articles