Where did the IPv6 support go in the EAP690E HD?

Where did the IPv6 support go in the EAP690E HD?

17 Reply
Re:Where did the IPv6 support go in the EAP690E HD?
2024-06-19 16:33:00

@IamMurphy

@Hank21 

Hi folks,

I created an account specifically to bump this thread as I just ordered an EAP690e HD since the 783 isn't available in Canada yet.

This thread alludes to a few alarming things which is making me reconsider my purchase and I will be cancelling/returning my order, if these items aren't clarified.

1. @IamMurphy indicates that the EAP690e HD is End-Of-Life. I checked the TP-Link product lifecycle pages and browsed around, but could not find something formal for this. 

Is the EAP690e HD designated End-Of-Life/discontinued?

2. The OP indicates IPv6 is flawed on the EAP690e HD and @Hank21 has not confirmed whether public/non-beta firmware will be released. This further indicates TP-Link no longer supports the EAP690e HD and no progress will be made.

Is IPv6 going to be fixed on this product or not?

It's disappointing that TP-Link isn't forthcoming with this information from what I can tell, further, there doesn't seem to be any formal support for the EAP690e HD.

Should I cancel/return my order? I already had a disappointing experience with the EAP670v2 which I returned since it was bricked on arrival. Now it seems I've purchased a "flagship" device which will be subpar and effectively beta-grade on arrival.

Options
2024-06-20 01:35:51 - last edited 2024-06-20 01:40:08

Hi  @SoftWhiteBun 

1. It's end of life in US, but not in other regions. End of life just means it won't be sold in that region anymore;

2. EAP690E HD does not support "to be managed by IPv6", but it does not mean it can't transfer IPv6 data to the wireless clients. It just can't be managed when install in a pure IPv6 environment. Today most of the local networks still have a working IPv4 environment;

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-06-20 03:48:29 - last edited 2024-06-20 11:10:15

Hi @Fae,

Edit: Looking at other posts (and my comments in #2 below), it seems that this goes beyond "IPv6 management" layer traffic and there were past beta FW releases to fix intermittent IPv6 packet loss.

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

1. This provides some relief, but is there a page that TP-Link publishes which documents the EOL information for regions? The one I found only listed older EAP2xx devices.

Based on your feedback, would it be safe to assume that TP-Link will still be supporting future feature enhancements/performance/bug fixes beyond just CVEs/security vulnerabilities even though it's EOL? Do you know if there's any documentation describing the support?

2. Regarding managing the device over IPv6 and having link-local/GUA IPv6 support for clients, according to the poster in this thread (post 9, 10), their wireless clients were not being assigned IPv6 addresses and that their roaming behaviour between EAP devices breaks due to this.

I suppose I can test this out once I receive the device in case I've misunderstood the discussion here.

While my personal usage is largely limited to IPv4 based devices, I work on the network stack/device driver development for my organization and having proper IPv4/v6 support is useful for me as a functional baseline to validate/debug my embedded platforms against from home.

Thanks again!

Options
2024-06-20 23:46:49

Hi  @SoftWhiteBun 

1. "End of life" in regions is a sales related decision; I can confirm the EAP will keep receiving updates, specially when there are security vulnerabilities. 

2. Feel free to share your experience here. That's why we need a community right :)

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-06-21 14:17:21

@Fae 

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation - looks like my package got lost/damaged in transit and never arrived so I won't be able to report my observations :(.

I hope the OP is able to receive the support they're looking for with their issues though. 

Thanks again!

Options
2024-06-27 12:52:38 - last edited 2024-06-27 12:54:21

@Hank21 @Fae 

Is a firmware update planned (I know you can't commit to dates or anything) to [re]enable IPv6 on the 690s?

Options
2024-06-28 06:00:09

Hi  @W38122077 

I can only confirm there will be update firmware for EAP690E HD. I also don't have a “road map” for it. 

W38122077 wrote

@Hank21 @Fae 

Is a firmware update planned (I know you can't commit to dates or anything) to [re]enable IPv6 on the 690s?

Options

Tags

IPv6
Related Articles