Votes

WPA3 Only Option

Votes

WPA3 Only Option

WPA3 Only Option
WPA3 Only Option
2024-03-23 23:14:36

Currently, the omada controller offers the option to set the WiFi security mode to "WPA2/WPA3". However, there isn't an option to exclusively use WPA3 security protocol.

Adding a "WPA3 Only" option would be a significant improvement. While the current "WPA2/WPA3" mode ensures backward compatibility by automatically reverting to WPA2 for devices that don't support WPA3, relying solely on WPA3 for security would provide stronger encryption and protection against WPA2 vulnerabilities. By preventing WPA2 devices from connecting, the network's vulnerability to potential compromises posed by WPA2 is eliminated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:WPA3 Only Option
2024-03-26 03:51:33

reynhartono wrote

Currently, the omada controller offers the option to set the WiFi security mode to "WPA2/WPA3". However, there isn't an option to exclusively use WPA3 security protocol.

Adding a "WPA3 Only" option would be a significant improvement. While the current "WPA2/WPA3" mode ensures backward compatibility by automatically reverting to WPA2 for devices that don't support WPA3, relying solely on WPA3 for security would provide stronger encryption and protection against WPA2 vulnerabilities. By preventing WPA2 devices from connecting, the network's vulnerability to potential compromises posed by WPA2 is eliminated.

Hi @reynhartono 

Considering there will be a quantity of wireless clients encounter the connection fail issue, the WPA3 only option has not been added into the controller currently. 

I will forward your suggestion to the developer department, they will evaluate it. Thanks for feedback.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-26 04:40:53

Hank21 wrote

reynhartono wrote

Hi @reynhartono 

Considering there will be a quantity of wireless clients encounter the connection fail issue, the WPA3 only option has not been added into the controller currently. 

I will forward your suggestion to the developer department, they will evaluate it. Thanks for feedback.

@Hank21 Thank you for considering my suggestion and for forwarding it to the developer department for evaluation.

I understand the concern about compatibility issues with WPA3, as it does not provide backward compatibility with older devices that only support WPA2. That's precisely why offering the WPA3-Only option as an option, rather than the default setting. 

Furthermore, other manufacturers have already implemented the WPA3-Only feature in their routers and access points. Additionaly, the recent Linus Tech Tips video (https://youtu.be/i9TJWsuzBLU) discusses the potential compromises associated with allowing both WPA2/WPA3 on a network. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@reynhartono 

As of today, neither my Samsung A54 Android nor iOS devices will connect to Omada Wi-Fi6 all citing the "WPA3 Required" error message, despite the WPA3/WPA3/WPA option selected for all SSIDs. It does not matter how many times I forget the network on the phones, reboot, disable/enable the SSID in the Controller, change the WPA3 to WPA2 or WPA makes a difference except for the error message displayed. All resulting in the same outcome.

This is a common problem I see posted over the past few years all over the net in various product forums, that is not resolved by the common solutions primarily focused on user/individual error. Phone gets update, reboots > phone no longer works.

I guess someone is cashing in on their tech investments because the only effective solution I've seen is "buy a new device," that smacks of an 'ivory-tower' mentality. I live in a rural area. There is not a single person in a 5 mile radius that has a clue how to hack WPA2. NO means NO!! Why is this forced on me with total disregard for consumer choice except for the fact these public companies are now the sole gatekeepers to civil society.

Fail to agree to their (Google/Apple/etc) tyranny and grand theft and you may no longer access employment, transportation, housing, etc. Try going without a "smart-phone." Even an indigent on the street does not have access to social services without one. Public companies now control the public without any balance of power nor "consent of the governed" with the obscene monopolization of all communications.

I see this mass "bricking" of user devices by big tech as an overt move to further create a wealth-disparity system discriminating against those communities that cannot afford to upgrade all their electronics to suit the "security requirements" of Billionaires.

I like TP-Link. I like Omada. I like the convenience of technology. My statement here is to reflect the very real struggle that goes beyond unresolved requests for technical support in order to raise an issue that impacts so many in today's new world order.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 313

Replies: 3

Voters 3