Can't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi

2024-03-31 13:47:02
Model: Archer AX12  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.21 Build 20231127 Rel. 47645(4555)

I haven't really had the need to use 5GHz previously as I mainly use my internet for my computer which is hooked up with an ethernet cable and my phone which is so old it probably doesn't support 5Ghz but just yesterday I picked up a Meta Quest 2 and tried to get it working with my PC.

At first I just connected to my regular network which kept it on the 2.4GHz one despite using the smart connect. Having went into the configuration and removing smart connect I was able to find my 5GHz network but I had zero success connecting to it.

I tried changing the channel from auto to 36, 40 and so on but with no success. Even tried changing the channel width even though I need the 80MHz option but that didn't help either.

I'm using the latest firmware and I borrowed my girlfriends phone to try and connect to the network to make sure the issue didn't lie with the Quest 2 headset itself but I had no success with her phone either.

I immediately just get a "Couldn't connect to the network" error message and it's highly infuriating. The quest tells me the signal is excellent and I've tried with both the phone and quest 2 when being literally less than a meter away from the router so there is no issue with distance or obstruction.

Checking through the web I see a lot of other people have issue with Tp-link and 5GHz so maybe it's just a general issue with the brand? Either way I hope someone here can help me out so I don't have to return this junk to the store

Options
10 Reply
Re:Can't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi
2024-03-31 17:30:42

@trucane 

Can you post a screenshot of your 5GHz wireless settings (cover/delete your wireless password).

What is the make and model of the two mobiles that you've tried to connect with ?

There shouldn't be any issue with 5GHz network in the latest FW release for AX12 AFAIK.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-31 20:41:56

@terziyski 

My phone (absolute cheap trash) does not even see the 5GHz wifi network so I presume my phone just doesn't support it. Meanwhile my girlfriend has a Iphone 11 I believe it is and she can see the network but not connect to it, it immediately gives an error message saying "Can't connect to the network" while she has no problem connecting to my 2.4GHz network. I'm having the exact same issue with my Quest 2, can connect perfectly fine to the 2.4GHz but the 5Ghz just refuses to work, it can find it but can't connect to it.

Options
2024-03-31 21:12:59

@trucane

Your wireless settings seem perfectly fine.

Make sure that you don't use any special characters for the wireless password - details.

You can also turn on OFDMA and TWT - this will improve your wireless connection experience.

iPhone 11 should support 5GHz band for sure - 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 с 2x2 MIMO

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-31 22:10:02

@terziyski 

My password does not use any special characters, only letters and numbers of lower and uppercase so that should not be an issue. My password for my 2.4Ghz and 5GHz is the same anyway so that is obviously not the issue.

I just don't know what else I can try, I obviously haven't had a need for 5GHz in the past but now that I picked up a Meta Quest 2 I need to get it working.

Options
2024-03-31 22:42:59 - last edited 2024-03-31 22:49:27

@trucane 

If your phone doesn't support 5GHz band you should use another phone which support this band so you can connect the Meta Quest to 5Ghz band.

Meta Quest devices doeant seem to like both bands with the same name i.e. Smart Connect featue.

Forget the wireless SSIDs on the iPhone and try again. I don't know why the iPhone 11 can't connect to the AX12 5GHz network but you could try with another mobile.

Here are some troubleshooting directions from Meta.

Options
2024-03-31 22:56:00

@terziyski 

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out but I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I don't see why my phone is relevant for using my Quest 2 headset to connect to the wifi? I've already set up the headset and everything the only problem is as mentioned, the inability to have it connect to my 5GHz. as it only connects to my 2.4GHz.

I tried factory resetting the headset with no success and then I did the same for my router and that was just as unsuccesful.

Options
2024-03-31 23:12:37

@trucane 

From what I've read on the Meta troubleshooting website:

To change the Wi-Fi network your headset is connected to using the Meta Quest mobile app:

1. Turn on your headset and open the Meta Quest mobile app on your phone.
  2. Tap Devices in the bottom menu, then select the headset that you are currently using.
  3. Tap Wi-Fi.
  4. Tap the new Wi-Fi network you’d like to connect to and enter the password, if prompted.
  5. Tap Connect to Wi-Fi.

It seems to me that to choose/change the the Wi-Fi network your headset is connected to, if you use the Meta Quest mobile app on your phone.

That's why it''s important the phone is connected to your router 5GHz band when doing this.

You could check a similar issue that users shared on Reddit - details.

Options
2024-04-01 05:18:19

@terziyski 

Using the phone App to choose WiFi for the Quest 2 did not help. In fact I managed to borrow another cell phone that can connect to 5GHz but it did not work using that phone either.

I did however play around a bit with the settings and when changing the channel width to 20Mhz I could actually get the Quest 2 to connect to the network however it told me I had no internet access. However even if I would have had internet access 20Mhz is supposedly not good enough of an option for the device to work properly but it would have at least been one step closer to a solution.

At this point I feel like I'm gonna have to return this router and get a different one from another brand unless someone has a magical solution.

Options
2024-04-02 02:39:18

@trucane 

Hi, did you try to reset the router to factory defaults by holding reset button until power LED flashing? If not, please have a try, then try to use the default wireless password to connect the default 5G WiFi. If the issue still exists, please try to change the 5G WiFi security to None and check if it works without password required.

In addition, is your Archer AX12 working on Router mode or AP mode? 

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-04-02 10:45:15

@Sunshine 

I have tried factory reseting it twice with no success. Removing password did not help either nor did trying to use a guest account.

Not sure I know what AP Mode is so I can't answer that question.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1391

Replies: 10

Related Articles