Best home setup for Garden Office

2024-04-02 01:50:59
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.1

I have two DECO M5 in the house and one in a garden pod which is approx 15m away from the house. The main DECO is towards the front of the house and the second just by the back door. The Wi-Fi in the house is great, can be 90-100MB but the garden pod is below 10MB and always ssays weak signal. Is there anything I could do to boost the garden pod signal?

I have attached a layout of the house and garden with the current DECO placement in blue. I was thinking of putting an additional DECO under the patio (shown in black in the image) I'm assuming that would help with the signal. Any suggestions gratefully received! 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Best home setup for Garden Office
2024-04-02 11:51:05 - last edited 2024-04-02 11:52:56

@Saint_Kat 

For additional Deco unit consider Deco X50-Outdoor. You can wall mount it outdoors and close to the rest of back yard, for example where I placed red circle.

Ideally it should be mounted high enough so that it is in direct unobstructed line of sign for pod and for pool. If you could bring Ethernet cable from the house to wall mounted X50-Outdoor, connecting it to your home LAN - that would be ideal.

Options
2024-04-02 11:55:55 - last edited 2024-04-02 11:56:43

@Saint_Kat 

Alternative option: if your garden pod is on the same power circuit breaker as some of electric outlets in the house, you might have better speeds if you could link pod's M5 with the house over powerline adapters. 

If you are interested in that option and have electric outlets both in pod and house on same circuit breaker, let me know and I'll provide more details.

Options
2024-04-02 12:50:42

@Alexandre. Great, thank you for your response! I wondered whether powerline adaptors might be an option. I would love some more info. Would they completely replace the current setup?

Options
2024-04-02 14:17:55 - last edited 2024-04-02 14:18:58

@Saint_Kat 

Powerline adapters will complement your current setup.

You will need pair of standard no-frills powerline adapters that support Deco Ethernet backhaul. You will place one of adapters in garden pod, and another in the house. The one in the house should ideally be connected with Ethernet cable to second (available) Ethernet port of Main Deco. If you have something already connected to it, tell me what it is and I'll give you other options.

After you've done this, verify the link between powerline adapters is good. You should be able to, using powerline adapters documentation and management tools offered by manufacturer.

As long as powerline adapters can keep good link with each other, that's all you need. In garden pod, connect its M5 with Ethernet cable to powerline adapter. If everything done right, that M5 will report Ethernet backhaul link, example:

Don't expect very fast speeds from powerline adapters, but 100Mbps is feasible and my understanding is it's all you need. 

For powerline adapters, I recommend TP-Link brand as they should be compatible with TP-Link Deco mesh, and out of all models they offer choose between (TL-PA7017 KIT) and (TL-PA7017P KIT). Second one, with letter "P" at the end of model name, is for pass-through power socket, which you may find more convenient if you don't have extra electric outlet for both powerline adapter and Deco.

Try powerline adapters. If they can establish good link with each other, this is the easiest solution. If they can't, send them back while they are on return policy and try other options.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 133

Replies: 4

Related Articles