DNS requests from EAP225 (BUG / Misuse)

3 weeks ago
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.6

Since the installation of the latest firmware 5.1.6 all my EAP225 AP's are making A and AAAA DNS requests for the domain eap225

What exactly is the point of this? I don't have a local network host called eap225 and even if I did, what's it got to do with Omada endpoints?

I have had more than 1000 such requests on my network over the last 24 hours, to all which my DNS server returns NXDOMAIN.

I'm assuming it's some dodgy back door way of trying to get info from an Omada based DNS server. Please stop misusing the DNS protocol and stop making these pointless requests.

Options
7 Reply
Re:DNS requests from EAP225 (BUG / Misuse)
3 weeks ago

Tescophil wrote

Since the installation of the latest firmware 5.1.6 all my EAP225 AP's are making A and AAAA DNS requests for the domain eap225

What exactly is the point of this? I don't have a local network host called eap225 and even if I did, what's it got to do with Omada endpoints?

I have had more than 1000 such requests on my network over the last 24 hours, to all which my DNS server returns NXDOMAIN.

I'm assuming it's some dodgy back door way of trying to get info from an Omada based DNS server. Please stop misusing the DNS protocol and stop making these pointless requests.

Hi @Tescophil 

Could you please help to confirm what is your DNS server? And also share some screenshots about these DNS request? Your assistance is really appreciated.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Hank21 

I use AdGuard Home. Each AP sends an A and AAAA request every 10 mins for eap225

Options

So my EAP225 Outdoor AP got a firmware update today and sure enough it's started making DNS requests from the domain eap225-outdoor

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @Tescophil 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Tescophil wrote

So my EAP225 Outdoor AP got a firmware update today and sure enough it's started making DNS requests from the domain eap225-outdoor

Just looks like the hostname. Do you have mDNS turned on on your system? Disable it, will this disappear along with that?

Have you tried the Wireshark? What about the result? Does it actually send this domain request for DNS resolution?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

@Clive_A 

This is not mDNS, each AP sends an A and AAAA DNS request for these hostnames every 10 mins 24/7 to my DNS server, stats below

Options
2 weeks ago

@Tescophil
NVM. It looks like the hostname because the hostname query is considered as A.

I am just curious about if it is actually sending this and just hope to get to the bottom of this with some proper guessing and Wireshark  while it is already under Hank's investigation. I have AdG and Pi-hole but I don't have these models for test. Cannot borrow one from the warehouse as they are not available.

Good hunt.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @Tescophil 

To assist you better, I've also created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID TKID240431025, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 259

Replies: 7

Related Articles