How warm are the EAP Access Points, normally?

2024-04-07 05:26:32
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

How warm should the EAP access points be? I had an EAP-610 go "disconnected", I have no clue why, and to get it back online I unplugged and reconnected the Ethernet cable at the EAP.  That worked, but I noticed that the EAP was quite warm.  I checked that EAP and a few others with an IR thermometer and they are all 20- 30°F warmer than ambient.  Is this normal?

Options
2 Reply
Re:How warm are the EAP Access Points, normally?
2024-04-08 06:28:05 - last edited 2024-04-08 06:30:27

SteveMann wrote

How warm should the EAP access points be? I had an EAP-610 go "disconnected", I have no clue why, and to get it back online I unplugged and reconnected the Ethernet cable at the EAP.  That worked, but I noticed that the EAP was quite warm.  I checked that EAP and a few others with an IR thermometer and they are all 20- 30°F warmer than ambient.  Is this normal?

Hi @SteveMann 

For EAP610, its operating temperature is 0℃~40℃ (32℉ ~104℉) which is the ambient temperature, while the device’s temperature could be higher than ambient temperature. 

Since the device is typically operate 24/7, it can easily become warm/heated and the device still works fine when warmed up. In this case device temperatures below 60°C (140°F) are acceptable. You can continue to use it.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:How warm are the EAP Access Points, normally?
2024-04-08 12:52:59

@SteveMann 

The low end APs idle around 4W, the fancier ones more than that.  So, if about the same wattage as an old incandescent night light, or outdoor incandesdent christmas bulb.  Definitely warmer than ambient, usually not hot enough to burn you though...and the AP having more surface area would run cooler than the bulbs.  Anyways, small reminder of what even 5W can do when consumed 24/7.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 119

Replies: 2

Related Articles