Switch configured to use two VLANs. Connected devices don't use either.

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20211209 Rel.52640

I have my switch connected a router running pfSense that is configured with 3 VLANs (tagged as 110, 120 & 130).  I've got two ports in the switch configured to use two of those VLANs (see the following screenshot) -- the third is only intended to be accessed via WiFi.  When I connect my laptop to port 4 (assigned to use VLAN 110), it is assigned an IP Address that reflects being in the default LAN.  My Roku TV is connected to port 5 (assigned to use VLAN 120), it is assigned an IP Address that also reflects being in the default LAN.  My laptop (that I'm using to type this post) is currently connected to port 4 but it connects using the default LAN (IP address is in the 10.1.1.0/24 network) so I can confirm that the router does allow internet connection.  My Roku is connected to port 5 and happily streams tv content via the default LAN (IP address is in the aforementioned network).  This is making my head hurt!

VLAN 110 (Called Primary in pfSense) is for my laptops -- my personal laptop and the one provided by my employer for work-from-home days.  VLAN 120 is for IoT devices so I can separate the many WiFi based -- less secure -- devices from everything else.

DHCP Server configuration per VLAN.  YES -- I know that's a lot of tabs.

Firewall rules.  For now, they all allow ALL traffic.  Once this actually works, I'll make them more restrictive.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Switch configured to use two VLANs. Connected devices don't use either.-Solution

Hi @DonI49 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

DonI49 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the response.  

1. If I'm reading your response correctly, I think that's what I said I did.  But to be clear:  I have:
    • an ethernet cable running from port 1 to the router. 
    • an ethernet cable running from port 5 to my Roku tv (should be in VLAN 120)
    • an ethernet cable running from port 4 to my laptop (should be in VLAN 110).
  2. Your response seems to imply that you're providing a link to an FAQ.  All I see is what appears to be the title of an FAQ topic.

Please kindly use the search function on our official website and our forum. Keywords are 802.1Q VLAN. It is a general knowledge about the VLAN. I will not repeat it here as you know about the VLAN and what to do.

I am not seeing what you are describing. Maybe I am wrong with your setup? Untagged is not trunk.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Switch configured to use two VLANs. Connected devices don't use either.-Solution

@Clive_A 

I did search.  That's how I got to the link mentioned in my last reply.  That's also the link used when entering what I did before posting this question.  The first example matches pretty closely what I'm trying to setup.

Here's a screenshot taken FROM THAT PAGE.  The TAGGED column is blank.  But now that I know that's what you wanted me to do, I made the adjustment and it worked.  The second screenshot is what the settings look like after i made the requested change.

EDIT:  Yes -- I'm now using VLAN 10 and 20 instead of 110 and 120.  But the principal is still the same.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Switch configured to use two VLANs. Connected devices don't use either.
3 weeks ago

Hi @DonI49 

Uplink on the switch should be tagged with VLAN 110 and 120.

Try this FAQ out:

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Switch configured to use two VLANs. Connected devices don't use either.

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the response.  

1. If I'm reading your response correctly, I think that's what I said I did.  But to be clear:  I have:
  2. Your response seems to imply that you're providing a link to an FAQ.  All I see is what appears to be the title of an FAQ topic.

EDIT:  right after posting my reply, I realized why that title looked so familiar -- that's what I was looking at when I entered what I did put in.  

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/788/

Options

Hi @DonI49 

DonI49 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the response.  

Please kindly use the search function on our official website and our forum. Keywords are 802.1Q VLAN. It is a general knowledge about the VLAN. I will not repeat it here as you know about the VLAN and what to do.

I am not seeing what you are describing. Maybe I am wrong with your setup? Untagged is not trunk.

Recommended Solution
Options

@Clive_A 

I did search.  That's how I got to the link mentioned in my last reply.  That's also the link used when entering what I did before posting this question.  The first example matches pretty closely what I'm trying to setup.

Here's a screenshot taken FROM THAT PAGE.  The TAGGED column is blank.  But now that I know that's what you wanted me to do, I made the adjustment and it worked.  The second screenshot is what the settings look like after i made the requested change.

EDIT:  Yes -- I'm now using VLAN 10 and 20 instead of 110 and 120.  But the principal is still the same.

Recommended Solution
Options