POE config to change auto power into always power, device doesn't use enough power to trigger

POE config to change auto power into always power, device doesn't use enough power to trigger

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: TL-SG108PE  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 20230218

Hi,

I have a cable extender attached a POE port on the TLSG108PE switch but it doesn't use enough power to trigger the auto POE power function on the switch. The threshold on the switch is to high (or the device doesn't use enough energy). When a POE device uses less energy than the threshold the port doesn't activate the POE power on the switch. 
Can I change or disable this threshold functionality on a port or change the setting on a POE port to Always Power (not auto power)?

Devices are using less and less energy. Having a threshold automatic power supply looks like a nice thing to have. But it fails when a device doesn't draw enough energy to activate it! When this is the case a user should be able to activate the power and leave it to always on (disable the auto power functionality on a port). 

Regards,

Robert   

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:POE config to change auto power into always power, device doesn't use enough power to trigger -Solution

Hi @RobertG-2024 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

What kind of device do you use?

No. First, this model does not support PoE adjustment or management.

Second, 802.3 PoE is auto-detection. You cannot set it to "always power".

Like what I asked in the first place, what kind of device does not work properly if it is 802.3 compliant? Strange to see such a product having trouble with the PoE as PoE is fully auto in some sense. Is it truly compliant with the 802.3?

BTW, check if your cable is the perp. Commonly, cable issue.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:POE config to change auto power into always power, device doesn't use enough power to trigger -Solution

Hi @RobertG-2024 

What kind of device do you use?

No. First, this model does not support PoE adjustment or management.

Second, 802.3 PoE is auto-detection. You cannot set it to "always power".

Like what I asked in the first place, what kind of device does not work properly if it is 802.3 compliant? Strange to see such a product having trouble with the PoE as PoE is fully auto in some sense. Is it truly compliant with the 802.3?

BTW, check if your cable is the perp. Commonly, cable issue.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:POE config to change auto power into always power, device doesn't use enough power to trigger
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your quick response. 

What I am using is a Outdoor Cable Extender from fastcabling (see fastcabling . com). It connects two switches (100mb) over a long distance (204 meters to be exact). Tried to find if the device is 802.3 compliant but can't find anything about this. I will contact them and ask, but it looks to me it's not. It's a small device that doesn't use a lot of power. 

It's a shame there isn't an option to control the the treshold of the power switch. Have to come up with an alternative.

Regards,

Robert 

Options
Re:POE config to change auto power into always power, device doesn't use enough power to trigger
3 weeks ago

Hi @RobertG-2024 

RobertG-2024 wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your quick response. 

What I am using is a Outdoor Cable Extender from fastcabling (see fastcabling . com). It connects two switches (100mb) over a long distance (204 meters to be exact). Tried to find if the device is 802.3 compliant but can't find anything about this. I will contact them and ask, but it looks to me it's not. It's a small device that doesn't use a lot of power. 

It's a shame there isn't an option to control the the treshold of the power switch. Have to come up with an alternative.

Regards,

Robert 

802.3 PoE does not have this option to "always power" AFAIK. It is not a problem with the switch but the whole industry standard.

This contradicts the purpose of the 802.3 PoE as it should be full auto. You don't have to worry about it when you plug it in. The PoE controller at both sites will negotiate the power and maintain the power link.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Hello Clive,

I had a reply from fastcabling. They relay the handshaking of the PoE device that on the other side of the cable extender. In other words they aren't compliant ;). 

If you don't have a PoE device on the other end of the cable they suggest to place a TP-Link TL-POE10R. I think the TL-POE10R will do the handshaking for me even when I don't attach a device on the power output of the TL-POE10R. Not sure about this so please advice if this will solve the problem ;).

Regards,

Robert 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 153

Replies: 4

Related Articles