The router fails to obtain a DHCP address from the ISP provider

2024-04-16 15:11:06 - last edited 2024-04-19 01:10:04
Model: ER706W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Since recently, I have a VPN router of type ER706W (EU), firmware 1.0.4. I am unable to connect the VPN router to the internet via the WAN2 port. The log files repeatedly show the message: [Failed] failed to obtain the IP address for WAN2 because no response from the server..

I have set the WAN2 port to "Dynamic IP Address" and VLAN-ID = 20 untagged. Furthermore, everything is set to "default". No changes made. I have a fiber optic connection. I connect the ONT via Ethernet to the WAN2 port of the router.

When I configure the same settings on my computer, "dynamic IP Address" and VLAN ID = 20 untagged, my computer receives an IPv4 and IPv6 address and DNS. I can browse the internet.

When I connect the WAN2 port of the router to a LAN port of my ISP provider's router, the router does connect and receives a local IP address from the DHCP server of my ISP provider's router, and the internet works. But in this case, I have a double NAT connection, which is not ideal. When I activate the bridge function on my ISP router, the ER706W also fails to receive a Public IP address from my ISP provider. The same error message.

I would like to directly connect the TP-link router to the ONT and not via my ISP provider's router.

Thank you for your help.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:The router fails to obtain a DHCP address from the ISP provider-Solution
2024-04-18 01:32:53 - last edited 2024-04-19 01:10:08

Hi @Tijgertje 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Tijgertje wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive, thank you for your prompt response. I have created a schedule of the various steps I have taken. The issue is that I can only achieve a working internet connection by connecting the TR706W via a LAN port on my ISP provider's router. I would like to be able to obtain a working internet connection without using my ISP provider's router. I have the impression that the TR706W cannot handle a public IP address from my ISP provider. I wish to connect the TR706W to the ONT (fiber to Ethernet modem) with VLAN ID = 20.

I don't have a fixed IP address from my ISP provider; everything is configured in DHCP mode. I've also tried activating the Unicast option, but this doesn't work either. The MTU value is set to 1500. I've restarted the router several times already.

When a device is directly connected to the ONT, my ISP provider does not perform any MAC address check. I have achieved a working internet connection both with a Windows computer and with my MacPro. However, when I use the bridge function on my ISP provider's router, a MAC address check is performed. In the case of the combination of ISP router and bridge mode, I have set the MAC address of the WAN2 port of the TR706W on my ISP provider router.

I have not restarted the ONT and ISP provider router. I can connect my Windows computer and immediately afterwards my MacPro (not both on the same time) without any problems. In both cases, the internet works immediately."

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️ ISP- router (bridge mode)  ➡️MacPro (internet connected no VLAN ID added, public IP address = 109.137.222.xx, subnet /30)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️  MacPro (internet connected with VLAN=20 added) public IP address = 109.137.222.xx, subnet /30)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️ ISP- router (bridge mode)  ➡️TR706W WAN2 (internet failed, no VLAN ID added, IP-address = 0.0.0.0)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️  TR706W WAN2 (internet failed, VLAN =20 added, IP-address = 0.0.0.0)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️  ISP- router (via LAN-PORT) ➡️ TR706W WAN2 (internet connected, IP-address = 192.168.129.x)

Is your VLAN tagged or untagged?

Are you able to Wireshark and give a definite answer to this?

Do you have ways to change this VLAN on your modem? I really doubt it might be a problem with the VLAN thing.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-18 13:17:07 - last edited 2024-04-19 01:10:04

@Tijgertje 

Thank you for your help, which I greatly appreciated. You made me think about whether the VLAN ID should be tagged or untagged. On my Mac, I didn't have this option and was convinced it was "untagged." After checking the box next to 802.1Q Tag, the problem was solved.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:The router fails to obtain a DHCP address from the ISP provider
2024-04-17 03:25:54

Hi @Tijgertje 

Does your ISP modem assign VLAN 20 untagged to the downlink that your Omada router will use as the uplink?

If this is not the case, you set up VLAN 20 on WAN2, it will definitely not work well

If you are certain about this, you should reboot your modem and connect the WAN2. Commonly, ISP will record the MAC address of the last device and only allow that to work. Reboot will flush the stored MAC address and allow the new device to use the Internet.

If you need me to further guide you on this, please provide a diagram of your network connection with the IP address you already know. You should be able to point out the IP as you know the LAN of the modem, and the WAN and LAN of the Omada router.

Or try this link below:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/search/?q=new+router+does+not+work&t=FAQ&p=1&sort=

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-04-17 17:03:05 - last edited 2024-04-17 17:40:12

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive, thank you for your prompt response. I have created a schedule of the various steps I have taken. The issue is that I can only achieve a working internet connection by connecting the TR706W via a LAN port on my ISP provider's router. I would like to be able to obtain a working internet connection without using my ISP provider's router. I have the impression that the TR706W cannot handle a public IP address from my ISP provider. I wish to connect the TR706W to the ONT (fiber to Ethernet modem) with VLAN ID = 20.

I don't have a fixed IP address from my ISP provider; everything is configured in DHCP mode. I've also tried activating the Unicast option, but this doesn't work either. The MTU value is set to 1500. I've restarted the router several times already.

When a device is directly connected to the ONT, my ISP provider does not perform any MAC address check. I have achieved a working internet connection both with a Windows computer and with my MacPro. However, when I use the bridge function on my ISP provider's router, a MAC address check is performed. In the case of the combination of ISP router and bridge mode, I have set the MAC address of the WAN2 port of the TR706W on my ISP provider router.

I have not restarted the ONT and ISP provider router. I can connect my Windows computer and immediately afterwards my MacPro (not both on the same time) without any problems. In both cases, the internet works immediately."

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️ ISP- router (bridge mode)  ➡️MacPro (internet connected no VLAN ID added, public IP address = 109.137.222.xx, subnet /30)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️  MacPro (internet connected with VLAN=20 added) public IP address = 109.137.222.xx, subnet /30)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️ ISP- router (bridge mode)  ➡️TR706W WAN2 (internet failed, no VLAN ID added, IP-address = 0.0.0.0)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️  TR706W WAN2 (internet failed, VLAN =20 added, IP-address = 0.0.0.0)

Internet  ➡️ ONT   ➡️  ISP- router (via LAN-PORT) ➡️ TR706W WAN2 (internet connected, IP-address = 192.168.129.x)

Options
2024-04-17 18:43:58

@Tijgertje 

I'm not sure why it should , but I wonder if the /30 subnet is upsetting the DHCP client on the ER706 ?

Options
2024-04-18 01:32:53 - last edited 2024-04-19 01:10:08

Hi @Tijgertje 

Tijgertje wrote

@Clive_A 

Is your VLAN tagged or untagged?

Are you able to Wireshark and give a definite answer to this?

Do you have ways to change this VLAN on your modem? I really doubt it might be a problem with the VLAN thing.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-18 13:17:07 - last edited 2024-04-19 01:10:04

@Tijgertje 

Thank you for your help, which I greatly appreciated. You made me think about whether the VLAN ID should be tagged or untagged. On my Mac, I didn't have this option and was convinced it was "untagged." After checking the box next to 802.1Q Tag, the problem was solved.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 397

Replies: 5

Related Articles