Cottage - Extend Wifi to dock

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

We have a seasonal cottage (May to October) and our Wifi is not great down by the dock or in the bunkhouse. We have Fibre Internet (500 mbps). I was looking at adding Omada Mesh APs as per below. Is this something you think woud work or are there newer WiFi 6 devices that would get the job done?
The Bunkhouse is about 80' from the router and the dock is about 125' from the router.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Cottage - Extend Wifi to dock
a week ago - last edited a week ago

GNH wrote

We have a seasonal cottage (May to October) and our Wifi is not great down by the dock or in the bunkhouse. We have Fibre Internet (500 mbps). I was looking at adding Omada Mesh APs as per below. Is this something you think woud work or are there newer WiFi 6 devices that would get the job done?
The Bunkhouse is about 80' from the router and the dock is about 125' from the router.

Hi @GNH 

Actually the root EAP wired to the router/switch will also need to be the outdoor series since the mesh EAP should be installed within the coverage of the root EAP. When you would like to have better connection inside, you can have another EAP ceiling mount inside the building. If there is not any obstacles at this situation, the mesh system with at least 2 EAP-Outdoor should work.

However, whether the mesh system will be installed successfully is not guaranteed, which will depend on the actual environment.

Besides, the WiFi 6 EAP such as EAP610/EAP610-Outdoor will perform better compares with the EAP225 in the same environment. But the connection is still not guaranteed.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Cottage - Extend Wifi to dock
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@GNH 

I have pretty much the same setup at one of my sites (3 EAP225-outdoors and an EAP615-wall inside), and I agree with @Hank21 about using an outdoor AP as the root.  I use (and love) the EAP225-outdoors so I'm happy to recommend those.  Inside I use the EAP615-wall as it is a much smaller device and more functional too.

For optimal performance, you would prefer clear line of site between the meshing APs which should be mounted high on exterior walls ~18" below the soffits to afford them some protection from the elements.  Pick channels that allow you to emit at maximum power in your region in the 5.8G band and fix the channel/frequency of the root AP.  Set the preferred root AP for meshed clients (gold star in the controller).  Use outdoor rated cabling and secure the cable well against weather and critters.  Beware of metal screened porches, while you can see through them, radio waves will not penetrate.  You can paint the APs to match with Krylon or similar spray paint to match/blend with exterior surface (I masked off the status LED, and the label on the back).

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 90

Replies: 2

Related Articles