PXE Boot on different VLAN

2024-04-22 19:42:06

Hello,

I am having problems of not being able to boot using IPv4 PXE when I'm trying to load the operating system image onto a laptop from my MDT/WDS server. It is however getting an IP address from the DHCP server, particularly when the laptop is on a different VLAN. Let me explain in better detail...

I have setup, using MDT, an operating system image which I wanted to deploy over the network for clients to image. The WDS is the type of application that I use put the boot image file onto PXE. This server is on VLAN10, along with a Windows DHCP server which is also connected on the same VLAN. The DHCP server is configured to manage the domain network VLANs, for instance VLAN10 & VLAN20. So when I connect the client machine onto VLAN10 which is the same network as the servers, the PXE boot works perfectly fine and loads the image. I would like to be able to have my client machine to be connected onto VLAN20 but to get the boot image through via VLAN10 - This is the bit that I am struggling with at the moment.

I have been doing a quite a bit of extensive research and have configured the DHCP Options on the DHCP server to only VLAN20 Scope (it boots with IP but waiting for TFTP server), but being told by Microsoft that these aren't supportable? I have noticed that many say that I should configure "IP Helper" on my network environment, but I don't know how I would do this with my TP-LINK switches (TL-SG2016P & TL-SG2428P), esepcially when we have a Omada Cloud Controller in place, which can make this situation a bit tricky.

So I am struggling at the moment and any help or suggestions would be greatly aappreicated.

Many thanks,

Ben

Regards, Ben
Options
4 Reply
Re:PXE Boot on different VLAN
2024-04-23 11:41:43

HBEN1603 wrote

Hello,

I am having problems of not being able to boot using IPv4 PXE when I'm trying to load the operating system image onto a laptop from my MDT/WDS server. It is however getting an IP address from the DHCP server, particularly when the laptop is on a different VLAN. Let me explain in better detail...

I have setup, using MDT, an operating system image which I wanted to deploy over the network for clients to image. The WDS is the type of application that I use put the boot image file onto PXE. This server is on VLAN10, along with a Windows DHCP server which is also connected on the same VLAN. The DHCP server is configured to manage the domain network VLANs, for instance VLAN10 & VLAN20. So when I connect the client machine onto VLAN10 which is the same network as the servers, the PXE boot works perfectly fine and loads the image. I would like to be able to have my client machine to be connected onto VLAN20 but to get the boot image through via VLAN10 - This is the bit that I am struggling with at the moment.

I have been doing a quite a bit of extensive research and have configured the DHCP Options on the DHCP server to only VLAN20 Scope (it boots with IP but waiting for TFTP server), but being told by Microsoft that these aren't supportable? I have noticed that many say that I should configure "IP Helper" on my network environment, but I don't know how I would do this with my TP-LINK switches (TL-SG2016P & TL-SG2428P), esepcially when we have a Omada Cloud Controller in place, which can make this situation a bit tricky.

So I am struggling at the moment and any help or suggestions would be greatly aappreicated.

Many thanks,

Ben

Hi @HBEN1603 

Are you looking for the DHCP relay function on switch? You may try to go to Devices > select the switch > Config > VLAN LAN interface to enable the DHCP relay.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-23 21:22:45

Hi @Hank21,

I do use the DHCP Relay function to direct clients to my Windows DHCP server rather than through ER605 router, but what I have tried so far and since you suggested DHCP Relay... I went ahead and changed the IP address of the relay to the WDS server but when I boot a machine into PXE, it does not get its own IP address because it could not detect a DHCP server from the WDS server's IP address and therefore the PXE could not proceed.

When I change the relays back, it then gives the PXE boot an IP address but still wouldn't do the TFTP transfer. So I don't know what I should look at next!

If you want, I can try and gather some screenshots of my current configuration from the Omada Controller and the DHCP server policy configuration that I have made.

Many thanks,

Ben

Regards, Ben
Options
2024-04-24 09:09:12

HBEN1603 wrote

Hi @Hank21,

I do use the DHCP Relay function to direct clients to my Windows DHCP server rather than through ER605 router, but what I have tried so far and since you suggested DHCP Relay... I went ahead and changed the IP address of the relay to the WDS server but when I boot a machine into PXE, it does not get its own IP address because it could not detect a DHCP server from the WDS server's IP address and therefore the PXE could not proceed.

When I change the relays back, it then gives the PXE boot an IP address but still wouldn't do the TFTP transfer. So I don't know what I should look at next!

If you want, I can try and gather some screenshots of my current configuration from the Omada Controller and the DHCP server policy configuration that I have made.

Many thanks,

Ben

Hi @HBEN1603 

Have you referred to this post WDS and MDT Vlan issues from reddit and confirm whether the issue might be related to the DHCP server?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-24 12:39:55 - last edited 2024-04-24 12:55:25

@HBEN1603 

I had a similar problem when I started with my ER7206 with my MDT/WDS server.  In the MDT configs, I changed everything to the IP address from the Domain Name.  The FTP server name and all, to the IP address.  I will have to look at the section, its one of the unattended/ini files.  

edit: do you have the bootp request configured on every windows dhcp scope?

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 227

Replies: 4

Related Articles