Port Forwarding - Blocking all IP's except those within a specified range.

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

I have a computer that runs remote desktop for remote management, the remote desktop port is exposed on the WAN network. Although this type of thing is not "Ideal" but using a VPN from the connecting device is not a solution. It has a program on it to prevent brute force attacks. However I normally access this computer from specific IP ranges and I would like to block out all other ranges except for those specified in a list. 

I'm not new to networking. I am new to this router, I'm not sure how to go about this setting particularly. 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Port Forwarding - Blocking all IP's except those within a specified range. -Solution

Hi @dillonb 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

dillonb wrote

@Clive_A I figured out how to specify IP ranges and added a 0.0.0.0/0 range marked "All". Configuring these for 3389 specifically and I found that everything I created was ineffective. Removing all the allowed IP ranges should have blocked 3389 as a port entirely. Which did not. 

I did some googling. Found that another forum described this issue aswell. Is this an issue that will be fixed in the future?

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/592348

Please provide the screenshots of your config.

This should be something we supported a long time ago.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Port Forwarding - Blocking all IP's except those within a specified range. -Solution

@Clive_A Used HTTPS and it worked fine. 

One last issue I am experiencing. 

My previous router was a Cisco RV320, and we had setup port forwarding for Vital PBX. I noted and printed off the settings to ensure ports are forwarded on this router. The router also gets the same IP on WAN and LAN as the old so it's a direct "swap-swap"

I applied these settings and the mobile app works fine and anyone can register. However, outside of the LAN (anywhere on the Internet) there is no audio for calls. 

I reinstalled the old RV320 to confirm that my issue is related to the router and not to VitalPBX and the old router works fine. 

Appears I have an RTP issue despite ports being forwarded. Any suggestions? I can upload screenshots tomorrow morning. 

**Followup** I fiddled with this and determined SIP ALG must be unchecked. Now calls are working

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Port Forwarding - Blocking all IP's except those within a specified range.
a week ago

Hi @dillonb 

Looks like it is ACL. WAN IN ACL.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
a week ago

@Clive_A I figured out how to specify IP ranges and added a 0.0.0.0/0 range marked "All". Configuring these for 3389 specifically and I found that everything I created was ineffective. Removing all the allowed IP ranges should have blocked 3389 as a port entirely. Which did not. 

I did some googling. Found that another forum described this issue aswell. Is this an issue that will be fixed in the future?

Options

Hi @dillonb 

dillonb wrote

Please provide the screenshots of your config.

This should be something we supported a long time ago.

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@Clive_A 
I followed the procedure in this link. https://www.tp-link.com/cac/support/faq/2026/

This works fine. I just needed to be pointed in the correct direction. 

I am experiancing another issue. I am trying to isolate communication between VLANs and when I create policies to do so. This is a result. Unable to determine. 

Options
a week ago

Hi @dillonb 

dillonb wrote

@Clive_A 
I followed the procedure in this link. https://www.tp-link.com/cac/support/faq/2026/

This works fine. I just needed to be pointed in the correct direction. 

I am experiancing another issue. I am trying to isolate communication between VLANs and when I create policies to do so. This is a result. Unable to determine. 

Get into it via incognito or private mode. Cache issue, AFAICS.

Options

@Clive_A Used HTTPS and it worked fine. 

One last issue I am experiencing. 

My previous router was a Cisco RV320, and we had setup port forwarding for Vital PBX. I noted and printed off the settings to ensure ports are forwarded on this router. The router also gets the same IP on WAN and LAN as the old so it's a direct "swap-swap"

I applied these settings and the mobile app works fine and anyone can register. However, outside of the LAN (anywhere on the Internet) there is no audio for calls. 

I reinstalled the old RV320 to confirm that my issue is related to the router and not to VitalPBX and the old router works fine. 

Appears I have an RTP issue despite ports being forwarded. Any suggestions? I can upload screenshots tomorrow morning. 

**Followup** I fiddled with this and determined SIP ALG must be unchecked. Now calls are working

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 131

Replies: 6

Related Articles