ER605 DOH IPv6 has a bug preventing usage by clients.

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Tags: #DNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

Why is the DOH proxy only IPv4?

When configuring IPv6 local address in LAN as DNS, the answers can be found in the cache but are not send to the clients.

Looks like a bug.

Come on guys, we live in 2024. IPv6 is the major protocol nowadays.

Options
7 Reply
Re:ER605 DOH IPv6 has a bug preventing usage by clients.

Hi @pe0mot 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

First, this DoH is upstream DNS. Not LAN. It only supports v4, why would it work for your LANv6? 

Second, if the WAN does not support DoH IPv6, then it does not query IPv6 address, then it is normal to see it doesn't send to the LANv6.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

@Clive_A 

First, this DoH is upstream DNS. Not LAN. It only supports v4, why would it work for your LANv6? 

- The service is called DOH proxy. DOH Proxy is supporting IPv4 clients on the LAN, but not supporting IPv6 clients which is a bug

Second, if the WAN does not support DoH IPv6, then it does not query IPv6 address, then it is normal to see it doesn't send to the LANv6.

- WAN supports IPv6 so why this question?

Options

Hi @pe0mot 

pe0mot wrote

@Clive_A 

- The service is called DOH proxy. DOH Proxy is supporting IPv4 clients on the LAN, but not supporting IPv6 clients which is a bug

- WAN supports IPv6 so why this question?

I know WAN/LAN have v6 but DoH does not support v6 DNS server which means you don't resolve the DNS over HTTPS for IPv6 which means you are using traditional v6 DNS. This is normal because DoH does not support your query of v6 IP.

You think that's a bug, so be it. It does not support v6 yet.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

I know WAN/LAN have v6 but DoH does not support v6 DNS server which means you don't resolve the DNS over HTTPS for IPv6 which means you are using traditional v6 DNS. This is normal because DoH does not support your query of v6 IP.

- ER605 does not support DOH proxy over IPv6

- DOH runs fine over IPv6, i can show you log files :-)

- Yes, 50% implementation is bug, not a feature.

Options

Hi @pe0mot 

pe0mot wrote

- ER605 does not support DOH proxy over IPv6

- DOH runs fine over IPv6, i can show you log files :-)

- Yes, 50% implementation is bug, not a feature.

If you have a log, we can save a lot of typing. Just post the log with the screenshots here. Paste would insert your picture.

Options
a week ago

@Clive_A 

For some reason I am not enjoying this conversation.

I am a customer, you are a supplier.

But I have to explain to you how DOH proxy service should work independent of the IP version.

While digging into the log files I was wondering why am I doing this.

Forget it, I am not spending my time on a supplier without knowledge.

Thanks for replying and this conversation can be closed.

Options
a week ago

Hi @pe0mot 

pe0mot wrote

@Clive_A 

For some reason I am not enjoying this conversation.

I am a customer, you are a supplier.

But I have to explain to you how DOH proxy service should work independent of the IP version.

While digging into the log files I was wondering why am I doing this.

Forget it, I am not spending my time on a supplier without knowledge.

Thanks for replying and this conversation can be closed.

No. If a case needs to be escalated or tested, we at least should see some concrete evidence for the dev/test to check. If you can provide a test methodology, that would be fine, too. I can let the test team test it based on your description.

For any type of service we provide, we should get some information as you do and move on. If you just throw a question to us with anything else, no test methodology or anything, how do we try to reproduce it? How to find out the root cause? Or if this is expected or not?

The DoH which I talked about is the DoH proxy. I know what you are talking about. The upstream DNS query on the router. But, the v4 and v6 are different URL. Some may be integrated with both v4 and v6 capable but I did not look into that as I mainly use v4. I just wonder how your log shows. I use private DNS in my LAN and they query upstream DNS, too. I am interested in this conversation and believe you are capable of figuring things out. I am inclined to pass it over to the dev if you can provide the log and test methodology.

Understand that I have to have something for them to look into instead of asking everything without a verification.

The troubleshooting and diagnosis are painful. There is no doubt about it. We have to determine if it is a bug or an issue, reproduce and if it happens, find out the reason first before we begin to work on a solution.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 120

Replies: 7

Tags

Related Articles