Routing 1x WAN into two networks

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I am bit new on this area but decided to take challenge. I have ISP providing 1x RJ-45 for WAN. I bought ER7212PC to route forward from there. I would need to set up 1x LAN port that is bridged to WAN to "pass through" connection. And then all the rest LAN ports of the device would be behind NAT in their own network.

Can you advice how to accomplish this?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Routing 1x WAN into two networks-Solution

Hi @Lantti 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No. There is no such a function on the router. This is a router with a NAT function and intended to be a NAT.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Routing 1x WAN into two networks-Solution

Hi @Lantti 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No. There is no such a function on the router. This is a router with a NAT function and intended to be a NAT.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Routing 1x WAN into two networks

Can you advice what model could do the trick? I assume that no integrated option is available for that? Interim solution could be to have dummy switch on fron but I would like to avoid that.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Lantti 

I am bit new on this area but decided to take challenge. I have ISP providing 1x RJ-45 for WAN. I bought ER7212PC to route forward from there. I would need to set up 1x LAN port that is bridged to WAN to "pass through" connection. And then all the rest LAN ports of the device would be behind NAT in their own network.

Aa @Clive_A says, its not possible to do that.

Perhaps if you explained what you are trying to achieve, then other may be able to advise how that might be otherwise done.

Options
3 weeks ago
Well, we have comemrcial EV charging system that has it's own router. In paraller, we would need to add another isolated network for surveillance (IP cams etc.). The EV charging router cannot be behind NAT as they told me, double NAT is not the good practice. So I was just looking for a solution how to do this without adding "dummy" swith between ISP switch and our two networks.
Options

@Lantti 

The EV charging router cannot be behind NAT as they told me, double NAT is not the good practice

Yes double NAT is not ideal, but will probably work fine.

Insisting on a direct internet connection by the supplier is VERY restrictive and I suspect in practice not necessary. Most of these systems make outgoing connections to a server and so will work fine even with double NAT.

I suggest you try it and see if it works. Make sure that the ER605 LAN subnet is different to that of the EV router. I suggest changing it to something obscure like 192.168.14.1.

The EV router is likely to be 192.168.0.x or 1.x but if you can check what it actually is then all the better ?

I'm assuming that the EV router WAN is configured for DHCP, so If it doesnt work straight away then add the EV router into the DMZ on the ER605.

Use VLAN's on the ER605 to segregate the EV router and the rest of the network

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 138

Replies: 5

Related Articles