Wishing to expand my Omada network

2024-04-29 13:10:14
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello.

For the last year or so I've had a TP link Omada system in our guest building which is situated around 300ft from our main house.   This has worked successfully and caters for a non-stop stream of people coming and going.  There is only one AP in there (EAP225) but I've set it up using VLANs such that.....

Kids / Workmen / Guests/ IOT devices/ Me (Admin) all use a different VLANs and all has been fine.

Feeding the internet from our house I used a Ubiquiti bridge since it seemed better than anything similar from TP link at the time for the same reasonable money.

In our main (largish) house we've kinda' been ok with a mesh system but I've now decided to splash out and put Omada AP's in here too.

At this stage I'm thinking to change the Mesh for....  

1 off TP-Link TL-SG2008P JetStream 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch

3 off TP-Link EAP610 AX1800 Ceiling Mount WiFi 6 Access Points

.... after running the wires in the house.

I think the questions I want to ask are as follows...

1. Will the existing VLANs be ok when I set up the new APs in the house?   Does the switch above deal with it?

2. Should I move the OC200 into the house and hang is right off the router (ER605)?

3.Should I consider doing it a different way altogether?!

Thanks..    (see sketch below) 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Wishing to expand my Omada network
2024-04-30 11:59:00

Hi @tp4sb 

Could you share the previous topology and the future topology at the same time? Meanwhile, we may also need your help to confirm how did you set the VLAN on controller. It will be better if you can add the subnet notes on the topology you provide.

And I can tell youtthe blow information by now:

1. As long as your VLANs are configured on controller for your router/EAP, yes you should be able to apply the settings for the new EAPs once you adopt them. And the VLAN settings can also be applied to the TL-SG2008P.

2. For the connection to OC200, it depends on the new topology. Connect the OC200 to the ER605 will allow you not to lost the controller management that easily due to the incorrect VLAN settings on switch' or router' ports.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-30 13:56:18

@tp4sb 

You will be fine, though I do have some suggestions for you.

1. for a little extra, get the SG2210P over the SG2008P, then all 8 ports have POE.  I have both, and wish I didn't.

2. by default, switch ports have the 'All' profile and so will behave like your unmanaged SG105 out of the box

3. I would connect your OC200 to the switch and leverage it's POE (especially if you have the switch on a UPS), switches also have much shorter downtimes during upgrades which can be important for fast roaming, and portals.

4. Do not leave the 6Ghz ticked on your SSID definitions as the APs don't support it, here be dragons.

5. Not sure from the diagram, but do not use both ports of the OC200 except when you need to jack directly in with a laptop for config reasons (it's only a 100M switch).  Treat it like a stub device, not a passthrough.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-04-30 16:22:20 - last edited 2024-04-30 16:30:45

@Hank21 

Hi ...I think my intention was to have the new setup like this....

My VLANS I set up in the OC200.....

The incoming router address in the house is  set as,,,,192.168.1.254. 

Options
2024-04-30 16:41:03

@tp4sb 

For reasons given above, otherwise good, but suggest this (whether or not you have a 5th POE port for the OC200 or not).

Options
2024-04-30 16:53:49

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks.  I'm no expert and just want to avoid wasting money.  

Options
2024-04-30 17:06:23

@simbar 

Because you already have the SG105P's, you can group similar equipment together using the ports of this device, and then uplink to a single non-POE port on a device like the SG2008P.  That way you would get the benefit of Switch ACLs in the 2008 etc, but you no longer have the ability to powercycle or monitor power consumption of connected devices by port.  In my case, adding cameras to my initial AP setup made using the 2008P painful...so I replace it with the 2210P.  Good luck!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 446

Replies: 6

Related Articles