VLAN configuration for Home network on SG2210P

2024-05-02 14:24:35
Model: SG2210P  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hello Experts,

I am looking for some help in configuring VLANs in my home network.

The network diagram -

I have installed opnsense (router + firewall) on a PC, expanded its NICs by adding a quad port Intel I350T4v2 and configured Link aggregation. The connections are as follows -

WAN/ISP to em3

LAN to em0

em1 & em2 -> LAGG

em4 -> unusued

As you can see in the network diagram, I want to have 5 VLANs with vlan IDs 10,20,30,40 & 50. They have been defined in opnsense with their respective subnet range and DHCP settings.

The biggest challenge I am facing is on the switch. I have created  VLANs, with same VLAN IDs as mentioned above. The connections on switch is as follow -

LAN -> Port 2 (from em0 of PC)

LAGG -> ports 3 & 4 (em1 & em2 of PC)

WAP -> port 7 , here I am using EAP620HD which is VLAN aware and multi-ssid capable

Laptop -> port 8 (Temporary configurtion via GUI)

I have no wired device, so one this is set up, I should get 5 SSIDs, that my devices will connect via wireless.

The "Port config" par of my setupt is definitely wrong. I did search for tutorials and I did find some, but since none of them matches my netwrok diagram, I wanted some advice before I dive into them.

I'll admit that I am a newbie at configuring switches. My experience with home networking was limited to mainline routers such as AC1900/AC1200 etc.

Can you please help ?

I cant even ask specific questions, as I do not know where I am going wrong.  Please let me know what screenshots etc I can provide.

Options
5 Reply
Re:VLAN configuration for Home network on SG2210P
2024-05-03 12:22:57 - last edited 2024-05-09 13:33:47

@Aa_Bee_Cee

LAN -> Port 2 (from em0 of PC)

- Access port

LAGG -> ports 3 & 4 (em1 & em2 of PC)

- Trunk port

WAP -> port 7 , here I am using EAP620HD which is VLAN aware and multi-ssid capable

- Trunk port

Laptop -> port 8 (Temporary configurtion via GUI)

- Access port

Don't try to set up the LAG at once. First, configure Ports 3 and 4 in VLANs and make them work one-by-one. I would also configure the LAG with VLANs on the switch without ports first and than add the ports to it one-by-one. That's a safe way of configuring LAGs.

Kris K
Options
2024-05-06 11:03:33

Hi  @Aa_Bee_Cee 

If you are new to the VLANs, you may take a look at the articles:

Common Questions About 802.1Q VLAN

How to Configure VLAN on TP-Link Switch

Also refer to the senior member, KJK's reply.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-06 14:24:20 - last edited 2024-05-06 14:26:06

@Clive_A 

Many thanks for your attention.

@KJK 

Thanks for the tip. 
I was able to set it up minus the LAGG.

I'll try it with the LAGGs and let you know.

Options
2024-05-09 13:00:19

Sharing few screenshots for the default VLAN 1.

as you can see, no tagged ports.

Heres one of the VLANs. VLAN 10 -

All VLANs -

Here's the Port config -

Now the setup is working as expected. I have 5 SSIDs, corresponding to 5 VLANs, DHCP, internet browsing, dns, NTP etc are working fine.

Do you suggest any modification in these configurations ?

When I set up LAGG again, can you please advise what changes would be needed ? (Port 3&4 of switch)

Options
2024-05-09 13:41:08

@Aa_Bee_Cee 

Configure a LAG with VLANs the same way as you would do it to a port. There are 8 LAGs available. Just pick one. Then add ports to it. Select LACP on both sides of the LAG link.

Kris K
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 632

Replies: 5

Related Articles