Wireless Access Point mesh

2024-05-03 15:55:22

I am looking to set up an Omada system.  I wanted to confirm that if  one Access point is connected via ethernet,  others can be connected wirelessly?  I will run a few new CAT-6 cables but wanted to be sure I can add some additional acceesspoints wirelessly without running additional POE/ethernet cables.   I think this is the case but couldnt make a final determnation in the literature, amazon, or you tube,   Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wireless Access Point mesh
2024-05-05 17:22:58

@lucianp 

If the AP model in question supports Mesh, then yes, 1 wired (root) AP can act as an uplink for multiple wirelessly connected APs.  Note, you still need to provide power somehow to the remote APs.  You will also need a controller, either a hardware one like the OC200, or a software version (Win/Linux) running in a VM/Container/Server/Pi etc.

Some APs do not support Mesh, like the EAP110-outdoor, nor most wall units with the current exception of the EAP615 which does.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Wireless Access Point mesh
2024-05-05 17:33:43
Thanks. It seems that it the same as the ubiquiti. As long as there is one wired connected AP I can add a few additional ones wirelessly. Perfect. Thanks again
Options