IP list website as a blacklist
IP list website as a blacklist
2024-05-06 11:21:19
Tags: #Firewall
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hello everyone,

it doesn't seem possible to use a URL as a reference for a blacklist. For example, you could always keep a blacklist up to date.

This feature is supported by OPNSense, among others.

This would make things easier and better, especially for guest access.

Several file types should then be supported, such as JSON, TXT, FTP etc.

In my particular scenario I would like to use the DROP list from spamhaus{dot}org. 

Or does such a feature already exist? Then I didn't find it.

BR Tim

Options
5 Reply
Re:IP list website as a blacklist
2024-05-06 11:24:15

Hi @TW_EPC 

See the options below.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-06 11:45:20

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your answer. I already know these settings.

But I would like to store a URL that updates daily. Behind this URL there is a JSON file or a TXT file, which contains a complete list of URLs.

This means you don’t have to maintain them manually.

BR

Options
2024-05-06 12:14:54

Hi  @TW_EPC 

TW_EPC wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your answer. I already know these settings.

But I would like to store a URL that updates daily. Behind this URL there is a JSON file or a TXT file, which contains a complete list of URLs.

This means you don’t have to maintain them manually.

BR

OK. That will not gonna be possible in short term. We don't allow third-party URL like blocklist yet. Though it may be only a few bytes. Thanks for the suggestions.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-08 12:39:28
Hello Clive, This shouldn't be done in the short term either, but rather as a feature request! I would be happy if this was implemented at some point. BR
Options
2024-05-09 02:22:19

Hi @TW_EPC 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TW_EPC wrote

Hello Clive, This shouldn't be done in the short term either, but rather as a feature request! I would be happy if this was implemented at some point. BR

Thanks for the good point. But my guess and understanding of our system is that we barely want to allow third-party URLs and update this periodically.

I know that many other open-source can do that. But the closed-source router system does not fit our product design.

As for the current DPI and IDS, they are databases we got from the third party and we update them from the regular firmware updates. This is what closed-source software does.

And I am not sure if the system can even support that as for the coding level. We are not that open yet to allow third-party URLs to update some kind of rules.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 239

Replies: 5

Voters 1

Tags

Firewall