Traffic blocked between some devices in LAN

2024-05-08 09:27:04 - last edited 2024-05-09 00:55:47
Model: SG2008P   ER605 (TL-R605)   EAP650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I used to have TP-link Deco system but needed more networks so now I’ve got Omada system pictured below (not complete picture for the clients part).

Everything seems to work mainly ok. I’ve got multiple VLANs/SSIDs in use and they cannot communicate with each other except when permitted to do so.

But there are some problems too, for example:

• Laptop A sometimes can’t connect (ssh or ping) to the Raspberry Pi computers RPi A and RPi B. At the same time, I can ssh to them from Proxmox computer. If I ssh to RPi A from Proxmox and ping the Proxmox the connection will start working also from Laptop A to Rasberries.

Here’s an image what happens. On right side the Laptop A (.25) is pinging RPi A (.21). On left side I ping from RPi A first the Laptop A and then Proxmox (.26). During the ping to Proxmox also Laptop A to RPi A ping will start to work.

• Camera C sometimes loses its connection to the Internet (Blink application). Also, smart lock does this. I need to click reconnect for the devices in Omada management to get it working. Sometimes it take longer time or multiple reconnects to get working.
    Omada shows it is connected but doesn’t have an IP address. In settings I’ve set static IP for it.

• And sometimes the WiFi from cell phone doesn’t seem to work.

This is my first managed network so there might be something that I have missed. I have tried to read much about the configuration and watched many videos too but there is still something wrong.

Any ideas what could be the problem and what to do to fix it?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Traffic blocked between some devices in LAN
2024-05-09 01:24:10

Hi @vesa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Don't know who recommends such a setup. Though it works but it should be expected to see things like slow response in ping, and sometimes losing packets.

The most important thing here is that we don't usually use EAP mesh to form this connection. We would not recommend such a connection and cannot troubleshoot on this diagram as the wireless is not reliable. Everything you experience now might be a result of the EAP mesh.

2. For the RBP, it might be a cache issue. But I cannot confirm as it is a wireless connection. For the controller mode, ARP-related parameters cannot be set. You might try to use CLI to set up a static ARP on the switch.

3. Cellphone WIFI uses DNS query and ping to determine if it is a working WIFI. Like what is described in 1.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-05-09 08:19:48

Clive_A wrote

Hi @vesa 

1. Don't know who recommends such a setup. Though it works but it should be expected to see things like slow response in ping, and sometimes losing packets.

The most important thing here is that we don't usually use EAP mesh to form this connection. We would not recommend such a connection and cannot troubleshoot on this diagram as the wireless is not reliable. Everything you experience now might be a result of the EAP mesh.

@Clive_A 

If you mean wireless backhaul connection then it is TP-Link who recommends it, here: TP-Link Omada Mesh VS Deco Mesh VS OneMesh™: What's the Difference?

The first setup of the picture above seems to have error since the APs are connected with wire but still they have text "wireless". But the one below is just like my system so there should not be the issues that I'm facing. My first problem is not just "sometimes losing packets", it's completely broken connection between two computers until I connect to to RPi A and ping from there, then connection "opens" again.

Options
2024-05-09 09:07:25

Hi @vesa 

vesa wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @vesa 

@Clive_A 

If you mean wireless backhaul connection then it is TP-Link who recommends it, here: TP-Link Omada Mesh VS Deco Mesh VS OneMesh™: What's the Difference?

The first setup of the picture above seems to have error since the APs are connected with wire but still they have text "wireless". But the one below is just like my system so there should not be the issues that I'm facing. My first problem is not just "sometimes losing packets", it's completely broken connection between two computers until I connect to to RPi A and ping from there, then connection "opens" again.

It stops there at the mesh. If you are gonna mesh, you mesh with another EAP instead of wiring it to a switch.

For the Deco or whatsoever the mesh system on the market, it would not recommend you connect it to another device wired as if it is an extended connection if you seek a reliable connection.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-05-09 09:25:36

@Clive_A 

Okay, thank you. Now I understand.I was unaware of the system's limitations in that regard. Now that I think about it, perhaps none of the tutorials I reviewed when planning the new network mentioned connecting switches to APs. While I was using Deco I had wireless backhaul and switches connected to APs and don't recall having any problems like this but I guess it doesn't work with Omada.

I need to begin planning the wired backhaul connections between switches throughout the house.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 162

Replies: 4

Related Articles