SG1016DE factory reset not working

2024-05-13 23:36:56 - last edited 2024-05-23 03:19:08
Model: TL-SG1016DE  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

How can I recover from performing a factory reset?

I lost the login information for my switch.  I thought this shouldn't be a big deal to factory reset and reconfigure, however, I'm now stumped.

After the reset this device should revert to its default IP of 192.168.0.1.  However, there is nothing there- no ping response, no configuration login screen.  The device IP has definitely changed as there is nothing at old, manually configured address either.

To be thorough I nmap scanned the 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.10.1 subnets.   Also, worth noting that the device MAC doesn't show up in firewall ARP table.  I've power cycled the device as well.

So my questions are:

1) Is there another subnet the device might default to?

2) is there another reset process other than the 5 second button press?   IE- power on which holding down reset button

3) Is there an internal reset button?

4) Is there a firmware recovery process?  Is there a JTAG header that I could I use with something like my ST-Link/V2 to reflash the firmware?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:SG1016DE factory reset not working-Solution
2024-05-17 00:41:05 - last edited 2024-05-23 03:19:08

@Clive_A 

The device remained unresponsive, and wasn't handing out DHCP addresses.

Howver, I eventually managed to recover- factory reset was successful.

The process that eventually worked was as follows:

Set up a laptop with a manually assigned IP address in the 192.168.0.0 subnet, and set it to continually ping 192.168.0.1

1. Disconnect all other ethernet cables from the switch

2. Power off the switch for 1 min

3. Power on and hold the factory reset reset button 5 seconds until the front panel LEDs flash.

4. Perform a second reset for another 5 seconds, until the front panel LEDs flash.

5. Power off the switch for 1 min.

I repeated steps 3-5 about 5 times. Eventually when the device powered back on it began responding to the ongoing pings and I could log into the admin page.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:SG1016DE factory reset not working
2024-05-14 02:16:43

Hi @smaart_device 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.
4. No.

Even if we have a way, we don't provide such guidance. Dismantle or jumper the product will void the warranty.

If you have a warranty consultation, please reach out to our technical support team regarding it.

For what you experience now, I would set up a static IP on the computer and log in to the switch via its default IP address if I were you.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-05-14 02:28:33

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive

Thanks for replying.

I would love to set a static IP and log into the default address, but perhaps I wasn't clear:  That doesn't work. There is nothing at the default address.

I'm hoping to avoid throwing out this device.  It's a shame, as the router was working fine until I used the reset button.

Options
2024-05-14 02:32:38

Hi @smaart_device 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

smaart_device wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive

Thanks for replying.

I would love to set a static IP and log into the default address, but perhaps I wasn't clear:  That doesn't work. There is nothing at the default address.

I'm hoping to avoid throwing out this device.  It's a shame, as the router was working fine until I used the reset button.

Let's be simple. Reset it again, connect it to your router LAN. Run a PC on the other port on the switch. Will it get a dynamic IP?

If yes, do the ARP scan again.

If no, and you get an IP 169.254, then you can consider RMA.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:SG1016DE factory reset not working-Solution
2024-05-17 00:41:05 - last edited 2024-05-23 03:19:08

@Clive_A 

The device remained unresponsive, and wasn't handing out DHCP addresses.

Howver, I eventually managed to recover- factory reset was successful.

The process that eventually worked was as follows:

Set up a laptop with a manually assigned IP address in the 192.168.0.0 subnet, and set it to continually ping 192.168.0.1

1. Disconnect all other ethernet cables from the switch

2. Power off the switch for 1 min

3. Power on and hold the factory reset reset button 5 seconds until the front panel LEDs flash.

4. Perform a second reset for another 5 seconds, until the front panel LEDs flash.

5. Power off the switch for 1 min.

I repeated steps 3-5 about 5 times. Eventually when the device powered back on it began responding to the ongoing pings and I could log into the admin page.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 111

Replies: 4

Related Articles