SFP Wan Ethernet not working

2024-05-14 23:08:25
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

I've been running a 7206 for quite a while.  I wanted to free up an Ethernet port on my device and I bought an ethernet sfpwan adapter.  When I plug it in, there is no indication that the device is even there, and I can see no way to enable the port.

Any suggestions?

Options
4 Reply
Re:SFP Wan Ethernet not working
2024-05-15 01:43:12

Hi @LeadershipGeek 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, I assume you are using the ETH from your ISP and a media converter to fiber? This information was not given and that's my assumption. If necessary, correct me.

If it is a media converter, make sure you have the correct SFP modules on both ends and fiber that works with the module you got.

And note that if you have a modem, the media converter cannot replace the modem. Make sure you have a correct diagram.

Troubleshooting Instruction of SFP/Media Converter

The Q&A about the compatibility of the TP-Link SFP modules with the third party devices

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-15 12:04:37

@Clive_A I bought this Ethernet SFP adapter. 

my assumption was that I could use the SFP port as an additional Ethernet port on the router. 

am I fundamentally misunderstanding the capability of the port itself, or is there potentially a compatibility problem with the adapter and the router?  The Amazon description says it works, but that's not always reliable info. 

Cable Matters 1000BASE-T Gigabit SFP to RJ45 Copper Ethernet Modular Transceiver for Cisco, Ubiquiti, TP-Link, Huawei, Netgear, and Supermicro Equipment

Options
2024-05-16 01:14:48

Hi @LeadershipGeek 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

LeadershipGeek wrote

@Clive_A I bought this Ethernet SFP adapter. 

my assumption was that I could use the SFP port as an additional Ethernet port on the router. 

am I fundamentally misunderstanding the capability of the port itself, or is there potentially a compatibility problem with the adapter and the router?  The Amazon description says it works, but that's not always reliable info. 

Cable Matters 1000BASE-T Gigabit SFP to RJ45 Copper Ethernet Modular Transceiver for Cisco, Ubiquiti, TP-Link, Huawei, Netgear, and Supermicro Equipment

So, brand name is Cable Matters? Not familiar with it. But based on my experience, third-party may not go well. The Q&A about the compatibility of the TP-Link SFP modules with the third party devices

I would go for a TP-Link RJ45 SFP module as far as I know people who ran into trouble before after switching to our modules work. See the 1G model here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-accessory-module-cable/?filterby=6409

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-16 01:25:46

@Clive_A It looks like the TP Link module is the same price as the one I bought.  I'll return that one and get the TP Link one.  Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 318

Replies: 4

Related Articles