connects 1G instead of 10G randomly Switch TL-SG3428X-M2 and Intel 10G 2P X-550-t adapter

connects 1G instead of 10G randomly Switch TL-SG3428X-M2 and Intel 10G 2P X-550-t adapter

2024-05-18 13:09:38
Model: TL-SG3428XPP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Hello,

My PC having two Intel 10G 2P X-550-t adapter connects to TL-SG3428X-M2 (this model doesn't appear in the list above but I find TL-SG3428XPP-M2, I hope they are same) through ethernet cat 7 cables.

When I leave speed & duplex to auto negotiation it connects at 1G and a connection test through Intel PROset Adapter configuration utility indicates "Link speed: 1000Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.".

However, when I put 10G full duplex manually, it connects "sometimes" at 10G but it is random and often the PC goes offline and then I cannot connect it unless I change the setting back to auto negotiation and the speed comes to 1G again.

The intel driver version is 4.1.254.0 dated 08/02/2024 and according to intel the problem is on the switch side.

Could you please help?

Thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:connects 1G instead of 10G randomly Switch TL-SG3428X-M2 and Intel 10G 2P X-550-t adapter
2024-05-20 01:55:15

Hi @envirophile 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It is not clear about your description. Let me try again.

Are you saying that you have a 10G RJ45 SFP module, and you are connecting a 10G NIC? They cannot negotiate to the 10Gbps link speed. Is that correct?
Because I don't see a way to connect a 2.5Gbps model to get a 10G speed. So, the assumption is that you have a 10G RJ45 module? That cannot work very well to get you linked?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:connects 1G instead of 10G randomly Switch TL-SG3428X-M2 and Intel 10G 2P X-550-t adapter
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A Thanks for your reply.

The router has 4 10G SFP modules to which I am connecting and not to the 2.5G ones.  

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi @envirophile 

envirophile wrote

@Clive_A Thanks for your reply.

The router has 4 10G SFP modules to which I am connecting and not to the 2.5G ones.  

I was writing that if you were using SFP+ RJ45 to convert the SFP+ to Ethernet and connect it to your adapter. I was hoping to confirm we are on the same page.

So, that is to say, that I understand correctly that you are using the SFP+ RJ45 module on the switch and the router?

SFP+ module on the router you are connecting to, is that fiber-to-fiber or RJ45? What does it have to do with the 2-port X-550-T Intel adapter? Because Intel is an Ethernet adapter.

Because you should have a diagram Router_SFP+---SFP+_SWITCH_SFP+ > RJ45---Intel adapter. Which part of the connection is not working well?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago

Thanks  @Clive_A 

yes, on the router I have a SFP+ to RJ45 adapter.

On the computer side I have Intel Ethernet 10 2P X-550-t adapter which has two 10G ethernet ports. I am using ethernet cat 7 cables to connect.

On both sides I have put jumbo packet 9000.

When I put auto negotiation on the computer ethernet card it connects at 1G speed. When I put 10G duplex, it doesn't connect.

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @envirophile 

envirophile wrote

Thanks  @Clive_A 

yes, on the router I have a SFP+ to RJ45 adapter.

On the computer side I have Intel Ethernet 10 2P X-550-t adapter which has two 10G ethernet ports. I am using ethernet cat 7 cables to connect.

On both sides I have put jumbo packet 9000.

When I put auto negotiation on the computer ethernet card it connects at 1G speed. When I put 10G duplex, it doesn't connect.

Let me confirm this. It seems that you refer the "router" to the switch SG3428X-M2. Is that correct? Because I am a little bit confused by your "router" thing.

Do you mean that you force the connection to 10Gbps, and it straightly fails to connect? If that's the case, it could be the cable issue. It does not work for 10Gbps and if you force that, that'll fail.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A yes it is the switch SG3428X-M2.It is a brand new cable installation.

Options
3 weeks ago

also, the cable test using intel adapter utility doesn't give any error.

Options