Question on VLAN, TL-SG108E and UDM Pro

2024-05-24 13:01:30
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230218 Rel.50633

Networking is not my profession, so please excuse my wording and lack of understanding.  I'll try to give as much information as possible.

Here's the pertinent part of my network

I have a UDM Pro which has a cat5 cable running to a wall jack in a front office.  I need multiple connections at the front office, so from the wall jack I hooked up a TL-SG108E.  

There are multiple devices, which should be on two different networks (VLANs?).

Here's the UDM Pro setup:

I have 1 work computer which should be on the Red network.

I have 4 other IOT type devices that should be on the green network.

The Native VLAN for that port is red.

Here's the 802.1Q VLAN:

I feel like I've tried every possibility (the current setup was just one iteration of what I was trying, everything works, but all on VLAN ID 1 (Default, Red), but originally my understanding was to have the default port on VLAN 1 so I would need to mark 1-7 on VLAN ID as 30 (Green).  Port 8 (The one with the PC that needs to be on VLAN 1) As untagged on VLAN ID 1 and the other ports as not a member of VLANID 1.  I would not be using "Tagged" at all.

Finally the 802.1Q settings:

I feel like I've tried every possible combination of changing the default port, changing the tagged and untagged, and I just cant seem to get it.  If anyone happens to know an easy fix you'll save me hours of tinkering, breaking, resetting, and pulling my hair out.

Thanks in advance, again, sorry about the rudimentary understanding of networking.  If I'm missing any inforamtion just let me know and I'll post it.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Question on VLAN, TL-SG108E and UDM Pro
2024-05-27 02:37:55 - last edited 2024-05-27 02:38:36

Hi @RouterRookie 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Port 1 is the uplink from the UDM?

If that's a yes, you should change port 1 to be untagged. PVID 1.

VLAN 30 on port 1 should be tagged because it is the uplink from the UDM. 2-7, untagged, PVID 30. They will get VLAN 30 IPs. 

Port 8 if you need a PC to be on VLAN 1, untagged, PVID 1.

And I don't see your goal in this setup and the problem. If I am not correct, please do describe your goal and uplink port. Will help you fix it.

Some guides:

How to Configure VLAN on TP-Link Switch

Common Questions About 802.1Q VLAN

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Question on VLAN, TL-SG108E and UDM Pro
2024-05-28 12:59:02
That worked perfectly. Thank you! The only Port 1 was in fact the uplink and moving it to "untagged" corrected the issue. Thanks for your help!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 185

Replies: 2

Related Articles