Throughput performance

Throughput performance

Throughput performance
Throughput performance
2024-05-26 19:20:46 - last edited 2024-05-27 01:26:38
Model: TL-SX105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Using the switch on a 10-Gbps Ethernet SOHO LAN with only Cat6A and Cat7 cabling.

The nominal connection speed from my provider is 10 Gbps down /1 Gbps up).

I have a fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) connection, so the fiber plugs directly to my modem/router.

When connecting my PC with an Ethernet cable DIRECTLY to the modem/router, I get a throughput of 8.7Gbps down / 1 Gbps up.

When connecting my PC to the router via the TP-Link TL-SX105, I get a throughput of only 3.6 Gbps down / 1 Gbps up.

Verified these metrics with a second PC in my SOHO.

Both PCs run on Intel Gen. 11 i7 CPUs with 64G RAM and M.2 disks and are equipped with TP-Link TX401(UN) V.1.0 10Gbps netword cards (NICs)

The full model number of the switch is: TL-SX105(UN) v.1.0

The S/N is: 22253C6000189

The throughput of this unit is unacceptable and way below par.

I was either sent a faulty unit or this product is totally below TP-Link quality standards.

What a shame for TP-Link.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Throughput performance
2024-05-27 03:22:45 - last edited 2024-05-27 03:23:59

Hi @AGC24 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. If you need a replacement, please contact the support team and arrange this RMA.

2. Rare to see a problem with this model. If you need to verify if this is a product issue, do the following, and if it turns out to be not good, you can start the RMA with this thread link.

Two PCs are required to be connected to the switch and nothing else. Make sure both are linked to 10Gbps. Static IPs and no router involved. Only in this way can we tell if there is an issue with the switch or not. It is a very simple way to test the switching performance.

Simply run the iperf and paste your (screenshot) results here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2397/

And, I would like to know if your system, or PC, can ever run up to 10Gbps when you connect to the router directly?

Have you ruled out other facts that may affect this?

If you can get a 10Gbps from the router test, do you run the same cable? As for the switch to PC, you will use at least 2 cables. Have you ruled out the cable issue? For the sake of accuracy, rule this out or test with 3ft 10Gbps capable cables.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-06-04 19:19:31 - last edited 2024-06-04 19:22:58

@Clive_A 

Dear sir,

further to your message below, please note that I run the tests for the switch TL-SX105(UN) v.1.0 with the iperf3.exe program, as you proposed,and the results are received are shown in the following screenshot:

Please let me know whether these results are considered acceptable for this 10Gbps switch.

Thank you,

Alex Christakis

(alex.christakis@gmail.com)

Clive_A wrote

Hi @AGC24 

1. If you need a replacement, please contact the support team and arrange this RMA.

2. Rare to see a problem with this model. If you need to verify if this is a product issue, do the following, and if it turns out to be not good, you can start the RMA with this thread link.

Two PCs are required to be connected to the switch and nothing else. Make sure both are linked to 10Gbps. Static IPs and no router involved. Only in this way can we tell if there is an issue with the switch or not. It is a very simple way to test the switching performance.

Simply run the iperf and paste your (screenshot) results here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2397/

And, I would like to know if your system, or PC, can ever run up to 10Gbps when you connect to the router directly?

If you can get a 10Gbps from the router test, do you run the same cable? As for the switch to PC, you will use at least 2 cables. Have you ruled out the cable issue? For the sake of accuracy, rule this out or test with 3ft 10Gbps capable cables.

Options
2024-06-05 01:18:19

Hi @AGC24 

AGC24 wrote

@Clive_A 

Dear sir,

further to your message below, please note that I run the tests for the switch TL-SX105(UN) v.1.0 with the iperf3.exe program, as you proposed,and the results are received are shown in the following screenshot:

Please let me know whether these results are considered acceptable for this 10Gbps switch.

Thank you,

Alex Christakis

(alex.christakis@gmail.com)

Clive_A wrote

Hi @AGC24 

1. Do NOT leak your personal information on the forum. We will NOT be responsible for any of your actions of leaking your privacy.

2. I will NOT reach you by email to troubleshoot or start RMA for you. If you need an RMA, please contact the technical support team in time.

3. You did not answer my last question about whether you can ever run 10Gbps from the router to the PC test. I would expect a screenshot of your test from the router-PC directly.

And you did not answer the cable thing either.

Try not to avoid anything I recommend in speed troubleshooting. There's nothing we can do if you believe it is a problem with the switch, just RMA it. Cables are really important in speed troubleshooting and your way to test.

4. Have you set up a proper MTU? What's the MTU you set on both PCs?

5. Run the iperf this way again by adding -P to enable multiple threads and see if you can get a higher speed.

iperf3 -c <server_IP> -P 4

So, as for now, due to the lack of information, I cannot make a judgment.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-06-05 01:21:52 - last edited 2024-06-05 01:28:31

Hi @AGC24 

AGC24 wrote

Using the switch on a 10-Gbps Ethernet SOHO LAN with only Cat6A and Cat7 cabling.

The nominal connection speed from my provider is 10 Gbps down /1 Gbps up).

I have a fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) connection, so the fiber plugs directly to my modem/router.

When connecting my PC with an Ethernet cable DIRECTLY to the modem/router, I get a throughput of 8.7Gbps down / 1 Gbps up.

When connecting my PC to the router via the TP-Link TL-SX105, I get a throughput of only 3.6 Gbps down / 1 Gbps up.

Verified these metrics with a second PC in my SOHO.

Both PCs run on Intel Gen. 11 i7 CPUs with 64G RAM and M.2 disks and are equipped with TP-Link TX401(UN) V.1.0 10Gbps netword cards (NICs)

The full model number of the switch is: TL-SX105(UN) v.1.0

The S/N is: 22253C6000189

The throughput of this unit is unacceptable and way below par.

I was either sent a faulty unit or this product is totally below TP-Link quality standards.

What a shame for TP-Link.

And you get 8.7Gbps from the router directly.

Based on the iperf, I don't think there is a problem with the switch at all. It indeed proves the switch can switch 7Gbps at least. And, you don't have 10Gbps DL in your description either. It is more likely to be that you did not properly set the MTU or the router.

When it degrades after passing the switch, it is more likely to be a problem in your network environment.

iperf you gave earlier shows that it can run up to 7Gbps but it does not reach the limit giving me the impression that whether your computer CPU can run up to 10Gbps?

And, it could be MTU settings. Or you did not run iperf by multi-threads and iperf multi-threads is the way to push the envelope.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 230

Replies: 4

Related Articles