Temporarily disable notifications

2024-05-26 19:23:34
Model: VIGI NVR1008H  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I recently started my first surveillance system. I bought an nvr1008h and a C540 (poe) to start with.

Apart from some annoying miss temper detections everything was going fine.

I now need a way to quickly turn event notifications on and off. I don't want to be notified when I'm on premisses.

I could not find a way to do this. I need something like tapo has, to tell the system when I'm away or in premisses, so that I stop receiving unwanted notifications. Something on the phone app, a widget,... Something fast and easy.

Is there anything useful for this?

Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Temporarily disable notifications
2024-05-27 03:35:37 - last edited 2024-05-27 03:37:18

Hi @mu3li 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Sorry that the product does not meet your expectations. I am afraid that the product position is a business-class router instead of a home-use one like Tapo. So, it lacks the features like that. The Tapo targets the home user and this would be a very essential feature for the home. But as for the business, the camera is 24/7 and for the sake of security.

A way to workaround this, if you are using Apple products, you may consider the Focus mode which you can filter the notifications. For the Android, maybe some macro can turn off the notifications, too.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-27 08:08:33

Hello @Clive_A,

Thank you very much for your fast reply.
Maybe I did not explain myself correctly so please allow me to clarify.

I don't want to stop recording. I do want 24/7 recordings of the premises.
I don't even want to stop event detection/tagging.
What I need is to stop notifications temporarily.

Imagine, for instance, you have a warehouse you need to keep safe. You'll probably install an alarm system and also a surveillance one.
From time to time you or your employees needs to go there. Before you go in you turn of the alarm so it will not trigger. If you have a surveillance system with event notifications you will probably do the same, not to bother anyone else, since you are an authorized person.

It makes just as many sense to have this feature for a home as for a business use case.

Off course, the recording should keep on going all the time.

The same for event detection/tagging, for later analyzes.

Just the notification part could be silenced.

Options
2024-05-27 09:03:43 - last edited 2024-05-27 09:06:37

Hi @mu3li 

mu3li wrote

Hello @Clive_A,

Thank you very much for your fast reply.
Maybe I did not explain myself correctly so please allow me to clarify.

I don't want to stop recording. I do want 24/7 recordings of the premises.
I don't even want to stop event detection/tagging.
What I need is to stop notifications temporarily.

Imagine, for instance, you have a warehouse you need to keep safe. You'll probably install an alarm system and also a surveillance one.
From time to time you or your employees needs to go there. Before you go in you turn of the alarm so it will not trigger. If you have a surveillance system with event notifications you will probably do the same, not to bother anyone else, since you are an authorized person.

It makes just as many sense to have this feature for a home as for a business use case.

Off course, the recording should keep on going all the time.

The same for event detection/tagging, for later analyzes.

Just the notification part could be silenced.

I might not explain that part well. Sorry about that misunderstanding. My point is that it is supposed to be 24/7 notifications and recordings. None-stop recording and notifications and logs. Everything is logged and recorded as usual.

It should not be temporarily disabled at all because it is a security camera. It is more like for the business environment where you want everything to be logged regardless of any changes or on/off-premise. Nothing should be disabled at all.

I understand that you want this notification to be disabled as you are home. But, that's more prone to be a home product.

And BTW, in the future, we will have some models capable of face recognition which seems to be fixing the problem like this. If the face is recognized, it should not sound an alarm so as not to disturb you with the notifications. But at the moment, it is not a compelling reason for the PM. It overlaps the product target in the home if you can understand this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-27 09:27:16

@Clive_A,

Disappointing to hear that. More so when when we are talking of something so simple, something you already have developed in a similar system...
I understand Tapo and Vigi have different scopes and different functionalities come with it. That's exactly why I choose Vigi over Tapo. 

Just don't understand the decision about this one not applying to business.
I can't see that any business manager wants to be receiving notifications every minute because the employees are working as they should.

Those AI and face recognition are all welcome, good and very helpful but are a complete overkill for a situation like this. Furthermore, they introduce serious privacy compliance issues (with face recognition). But that's a very strong buzz word these days. Great for selling...

Disappointing to have to look for something else for such a silly issue...

PS: Don't know why you think I'm a "Home" user...

Thanks anyway...

Options
2024-05-28 01:14:02

Hi @mu3li 

mu3li wrote

@Clive_A,

Disappointing to hear that. More so when when we are talking of something so simple, something you already have developed in a similar system...
I understand Tapo and Vigi have different scopes and different functionalities come with it. That's exactly why I choose Vigi over Tapo. 

Just don't understand the decision about this one not applying to business.
I can't see that any business manager wants to be receiving notifications every minute because the employees are working as they should.

Those AI and face recognition are all welcome, good and very helpful but are a complete overkill for a situation like this. Furthermore, they introduce serious privacy compliance issues (with face recognition). But that's a very strong buzz word these days. Great for selling...

Disappointing to have to look for something else for such a silly issue...

PS: Don't know why you think I'm a "Home" user...

Thanks anyway...

Face Recognition is stored locally and the face will be recorded first by yourself if you need to identify your employees. Like written above, security cameras. That would become a selling point for some warehouse control or restricted areas.

Annoying it is, but the system should inform you about what happened regardless if it is authorized or not. You can disselect the function or notification in the app but it should still be notifying you if it is enabled. Like the Omada solution we have for the business, its log system reminds you and records what happened if you enable its push notification regardless of the conditions.

Product have its reign and scopes. As we lack business solutions, that's why VIGI was initially introduced to fill this gap and don't overlap with the home.

You can still submit a request on the request page and see if others are requiring this. Yet, I cannot guarantee any requests will be granted and added to the roadmap. Thanks for your understanding.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 348

Replies: 5

Related Articles