Management VLAN guide is not what it shows on the controller

2024-05-29 23:08:37 - last edited 2024-05-30 00:02:03
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Following this guide:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2814/

The part it say you can batch config for the Management VLAN part is missing from the controller.

6ec88c45dcf3449c9d29a1d229a1cfe2

Is there a newer guide?  Because If I do it from the device itself... it always breaks

Options
7 Reply
Re:Management VLAN guide is not what it shows on the controller
2024-05-30 03:08:26

Hi @mbze430 

May I confirm whether your front gateway is a TP-Link router? And whether you have configurd the trunk port connected to the gateway as profile all? For the IP address/VLAN interface setting of switch, have you enabled the DHCP as IP address mode on management VLAN or the static IP is within the management VLAN subnet?
We don't have the batch config for management VLAN currently, but if you failed to do it from the device itself, the reason might be that the management VLAN tag from your front gateway has not been transmitted properly.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-30 03:26:20 - last edited 2024-05-30 03:39:11

@Hank21 

I have ER8411 as a gateway BUT, I am NOT using it as the inter-vlan.  I have a 100Gb L3 switch as my core/ToR switch.  The SX3206HPP is the switch I am trying to get it to configure in to my management vlan (254).  the controller is on 254.  There is a dhcp server and it does get an IP.  

On the PortChannel02 is configured VLAN 254 tagged.  If you look at my topology diagram the EAP773 is connected to the SX3206HPP and I was able to get that to the management vlan and they are on the same link.  

It seems like every time I go turn on the VLAN interface for 254 on the device, it breaks... it's like the configuration doesn't get saved fast enough or something....

Is there a way to configure the management via CLI?

When you enable Management VLAN on the interface does it turn the packet to QinQ?

Options
2024-05-30 20:46:37 - last edited 2024-05-30 20:47:59

@Hank21 

In the guide iin both section of the guide,

4. Reconnect the controller to switch A through port 4 (the idle port configured in step 2).
5. Reconnect the controller to switch A through port 4 (the idle port configured in step 3).

My controller is running on an ESXi (Vmware) host.

So to make the management VLAN to work you literally need to move the controller to make this all work??

There is gotta be a better way. 

Options
2024-05-31 03:05:05

Hi @mbze430 

Is there a way to configure the management via CLI?

Here is the CLI command guide for your reference.

When you enable Management VLAN on the interface does it turn the packet to QinQ?

No, enabling Management VLAN on the interface does not turn the packet into QinQ. It simply configures the switch VLAN interface to accept only tagged data packets, whereas without it enabled, the interface accepts untagged data packets.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-31 03:07:00

mbze430 wrote

@Hank21 

In the guide iin both section of the guide,

4. Reconnect the controller to switch A through port 4 (the idle port configured in step 2).
5. Reconnect the controller to switch A through port 4 (the idle port configured in step 3).

My controller is running on an ESXi (Vmware) host.

So to make the management VLAN to work you literally need to move the controller to make this all work??

There is gotta be a better way. 

@mbze430 

I am afraid yes, you need to move the controller because initially the controller host is on the untagged native VLAN by default, and it only recognizes untagged data.

Options
2024-05-31 04:31:56 - last edited 2024-05-31 04:32:33

@Hank21 

Is it possible to adopt the switch from one controller and than migrate it over to another controller.

Ex:

I can run the windows version of the controller on my laptop.  Adopt it and configure the management vlan.  And then migrate it over to my existing controller that is running on a VM?

or

would I have to migrate from my VM controller over to my laptop controller, adopt the switch configure everything and than migrate it back to the VM controller?

Options
2024-06-03 06:09:07 - last edited 2024-06-03 06:10:52

mbze430 wrote

@Hank21 

Is it possible to adopt the switch from one controller and than migrate it over to another controller.

Ex:

I can run the windows version of the controller on my laptop.  Adopt it and configure the management vlan.  And then migrate it over to my existing controller that is running on a VM?

or

would I have to migrate from my VM controller over to my laptop controller, adopt the switch configure everything and than migrate it back to the VM controller?

Hi @mbze430 

For controller v5.13.11.41 and above, only the configuration file from the controller with the same first-three-part version number(Major.Minor.Patch)can be imported.

During the migration, basically you need to export&restore the configuration file, then inform devices the address of new controller. As long as your target controller is installed in management VLAN and was able to communicate with your devices will you be able to migrate and adopt it.

You can refer to this instruction to learn how to migrate the controller.

Options