Feature Request | Variable support in ACLs for IPv6 prefix

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #ACL
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

I've deployed successfully IPv6 on my network, although my ISP sometimes changes the IPv6 scope, which impacts the ACLs so some systems are not accessible from the Internet over IPv6.

So for example I currently have a group profile with the systems that are allowed to have inbound SSH traffic (TCP/22), but this is hard coded:

2001:c0ff:ee:5838::1:241 / 128

So as you can see the prefix is 2001:c0ff:ee:5838::, would be nice to have a 'variable' to use in groups that will auto-populate the prefix, so when it changes it still works.

So I was thinking about (for example) to use [IPv6_PREFIX], so it looks like:

[IPv6_PREFIX]1:241 / 128

To update the DNS Records with Cloudflare, I wrote a small script that does an update of the AAAA record using the API of them.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Feature Request | Variable support in ACLs for IPv6 prefix
2 weeks ago

Hi @paderijk 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Where will this prefix come from? WAN or LAN?

LAN can do it. ACL supports IPv6 LAN. The IPv6 Group will change to the WAN v6 prefix if the WAN prefix changes.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @Clive_A,

The IPv6 prefix will come from the WAN (via the ISP) and "pushed" to the LAN, the LAN is configured this way:

I indeed found the IPv6 group for ACLs applicable to the whole subnet (2001:c0ff:ee:5838::/64), but I have not found a solution whereby I can have an ACL for a specific IPv6 address, that takes into count a potential prefix change.

In my case I want to have one system (2001:c0ff:ee:5838::1:241/128) over SSH accessible from the Internet over SSH (TCP/22) and all the other systems that do offer SSH should not be accessible. So I currently have an ACL that blocks everything incoming and another one that only allows inbound SSH to that specific system.

The system Berrystone is the one that should be accessible from the Internet using SSH.

The IPv6 Group:IPv6 berrystone looks like:

So if the provider pushes a new prefix to me (for example) 2001:b4b4:aa:1234::/64, the IPv6 Group:IPv6 berrystone needs to be changed.

Hope I clarified the feature request more, if not, please let me know.

I looked if there was already something in place, but was not able to find it.

DISCLAIMER: The IPv6 prefixes showed are not the actual ones I have in use due to privacy.

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @paderijk 

paderijk wrote

Hi @Clive_A,

The IPv6 prefix will come from the WAN (via the ISP) and "pushed" to the LAN, the LAN is configured this way:

I indeed found the IPv6 group for ACLs applicable to the whole subnet (2001:c0ff:ee:5838::/64), but I have not found a solution whereby I can have an ACL for a specific IPv6 address, that takes into count a potential prefix change.

In my case I want to have one system (2001:c0ff:ee:5838::1:241/128) over SSH accessible from the Internet over SSH (TCP/22) and all the other systems that do offer SSH should not be accessible. So I currently have an ACL that blocks everything incoming and another one that only allows inbound SSH to that specific system.

The system Berrystone is the one that should be accessible from the Internet using SSH.

The IPv6 Group:IPv6 berrystone looks like:

So if the provider pushes a new prefix to me (for example) 2001:b4b4:aa:1234::/64, the IPv6 Group:IPv6 berrystone needs to be changed.

Hope I clarified the feature request more, if not, please let me know.

I looked if there was already something in place, but was not able to find it.

DISCLAIMER: The IPv6 prefixes showed are not the actual ones I have in use due to privacy.

Got you. Our dev also took a look at this request.

So, it does not seem to be a mainstream request yet. We will keep an eye on this request if they are more feedback on this, we let the PM take a look and evaluate this feature.

BTW, is this for the business environment or home? If this is for business, how many users do you have requesting this feature?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

This is in my home-lab (as professional IT Engineer, I would like to have good stuff).

Understand it's not a mainstream request, at my work at a big international company IPv6 is unfortunately not yet on the roadmap to be deployed in the Datacenters/Office LAN. sad

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @paderijk 

paderijk wrote

@Clive_A 

This is in my home-lab (as professional IT Engineer, I would like to have good stuff).

Understand it's not a mainstream request, at my work at a big international company IPv6 is unfortunately not yet on the roadmap to be deployed in the Datacenters/Office LAN. sad

Understand that. If others vote on this, our dev can pull this to the request pool for further evaluation. wink

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 138

Replies: 5

Voters 1

Tags

ACL