ER8411 with WAN1 Static IP and WAN3 with DHCP doesn't work

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20240308 Rel.75819

I have a 10Gig fiber for my first WAN port, and Starlink for my backup, The issue is once the DHCP kicks in for the Starlink, the default route gets set to that interface, so all traffic stops as the Starlink is on standby, it shouldn't be attempting to use it. 

This is working much differently than my previous ER7206, Which I had to update to the ER8411 for the 10Gig upgrade, so what should I try, I have it setup for link backup, and it seems broken.

Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER8411 with WAN1 Static IP and WAN3 with DHCP doesn't work-Solution

Hi @briankwest 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you set it as backup WAN, it does not function until the primary is down.

Common Questions About the Load Balancing, Link Backup(Failover) & Online Detection

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:ER8411 with WAN1 Static IP and WAN3 with DHCP doesn't work
a week ago
Options
Re:ER8411 with WAN1 Static IP and WAN3 with DHCP doesn't work-Solution

Hi @briankwest 

If you set it as backup WAN, it does not function until the primary is down.

Common Questions About the Load Balancing, Link Backup(Failover) & Online Detection

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@Clive_A I know what i'm doing here, this isn't the first time setting this up, when I put the new ER8411 in, SFP/WAN1 is 10 gig fiber, SFP/WAN3 is DHCP Starlink, everything works perfectly fine as long as the starlink is not plugged in, the moment its plugged in all traffic stops routing, so its clearly broken.

It has two default routes in the routing table, one out Starlink and one out the fiber, you can't have this in the actual routing table like it appears.

It's configured correctly, it just doesn't behave as configured.

/b

Options
a week ago

Just double checked everything once again, this seems to be a bug in the ER8411 firmware, the very second the backup interface has an IP address, it just stops passing all traffic.  I'm going to try a few things to narrow it down.

Options
a week ago

This is a bug in the firmware, I have a static IP on WAN1, with a /25 and upstream of .1 the moment the WAN3 gets an address in 100.64.x.x all traffic stops routing.  So someone from TPLink will need to look into this, becuase this makes no sense to me, I've tried various configs, resetting the config, and trying a few things, it just won't work as configured.

/b

Options
a week ago

Hi @briankwest 

briankwest wrote

This is a bug in the firmware, I have a static IP on WAN1, with a /25 and upstream of .1 the moment the WAN3 gets an address in 100.64.x.x all traffic stops routing.  So someone from TPLink will need to look into this, becuase this makes no sense to me, I've tried various configs, resetting the config, and trying a few things, it just won't work as configured.

/b

Please give details about your WAN configs and IPs.

Diagram is as simple as two WANs---ER8411---PC for test?

What steps did you use to verify the first WAN is down on the PC?

It makes sense to me if you have set up the link backup wrong or the IP duplicates on the WAN and LAN sides which causes the instant shutdown on the first WAN. I have not experienced such a case before and I don't recall if there is any "BUG" about this. There were some cases of symptoms like what you described but never is a problem caused by the router yet the config.

Before I confirm what you stated is correct and configured right with the screenshots and details, I would not assume it is a bug. I'd choose the word carefully before I use the term "BUG" to describe it.

You have performed several checks before making a conclusion it is a bug. So, please share the details of your steps of verification with logic in it. Let's see if I can conclude like what you did.

And, I will find the test team for third-time verification for confirmation and the dev for the fourth time to review it. If it is a bug, will surely make it to the dev for future fixes.

Please mosaic your sensitive information. Here is a list of information considered sensitive:

1. Public IP address on your WAN if your WAN is.

2. Real MAC address of your device.

3. Your personal information including address, domain name, and credentials.

For troubleshooting purposes, when a WAN IP is needed, please leave some values visible for identification.

Options
Friday

@Clive_A I had to factory reset it and set it up exactly as I did before, and it worked fine.  Still a bug, but I'm not going to try to figure out how it happened, probably the prelacment process of swapping the router in my system triggered it.

/b

Options
Friday

Its also utterly broken still, it just decides YEET no internet.

Options
Friday

Can I get someone access to this, the moment both the Fiber and Starlink are connected, it just stops passing data, Its broken, its the firmware. I set this up without issue on my previous setup and no issues, but now with this new ER8411, its busted. 

/b

Options
Saturday

briankwest wrote

I have a 10Gig fiber for my first WAN port, and Starlink for my backup, The issue is once the DHCP kicks in for the Starlink, the default route gets set to that interface, so all traffic stops as the Starlink is on standby, it shouldn't be attempting to use it. 

This is working much differently than my previous ER7206, Which I had to update to the ER8411 for the 10Gig upgrade, so what should I try, I have it setup for link backup, and it seems broken.

Any ideas?

@briankwest 

have you tried to set a fixed IP on the starlink interface on the ER8411? You probably have a Starlik router with which gives out private IPs, if instead of receiving an IP on dhcp from stralink you set a fixed IP on the ER8411.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 127

Replies: 10

Related Articles