EAP110 unit works, has IP address and connectivity ... but router doesn't see it.

EAP110 unit works, has IP address and connectivity ... but router doesn't see it.

Wednesday - last edited Thursday
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.20.0 Build 20200511 Rel. 33388(5553)

I set up two EAP110s outside at my house in 2020, one in front and the other in back, mostly for wifi calling. I noticed yesterday that my router doesn't list the back one as an attached device. Front one is completely normal.

So I checked the following. The back one is working and has Internet, and an IP of 192.168.0.11, which it could have only gotten from my (Netgear) router. The front one still has the original IP address (I think) of 192.168.1.221.

However, I can't access 192.168.0.11. I can't bring up tplinkeap.net, I can't ping the device.

Yet it has Internet and it works.

It would be a bit of a project to get to it on the roof and more of one to replace the cable. Can anyone tell me what this might be, though? I know, when I set it up in 2020, that the router saw the device.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP110 unit works, has IP address and connectivity ... but router doesn't see it.-Solution

@d0ugmac1 I just typed a lengthy post and had it disappear.

Anyway --

1-- Reset it. Router could see it when I reset it, but I could not access device. Was a "Hidden Network" ... default SSID was recognized but no connection/connectivity, when I added device manually.

2-- Took it down. Looked at it. Says model is CPE210 version 2.8, which is weird because config for the one that's working properly says it is an EAP110-Outdoor, firmware 3.20, hardware 3.0. Weird, because I bought them together. They look the same on the outside.

3-- Hooked it up directly to a computer and was able to (re)configure. Working just fine as an access point. Router could see it. IP was 192.168.0.254, which was default. I left it there.

4-- Put it back outside. Router can't see it. IP changed to 192.168.1.12. Working the same way it was as when I started. Can't access it. Router can't see it. But working fine for connectivity.

5-- Moral of the story, I guess, is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Might try bypassing switch in basement, I guess. LAN runs to that and POE for both devices runs from there.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:EAP110 unit works, has IP address and connectivity ... but router doesn't see it.
Wednesday

@Just-Jeff 

Power cycle the misbehaving AP.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:EAP110 unit works, has IP address and connectivity ... but router doesn't see it.
Wednesday

@d0ugmac1 Yes, did that first. I should have said so. No change.

Options
Wednesday

@Just-Jeff 

Ok, well the system is behaving like an ARP table is missing the AP's IP/MAC details.  Have you also rebooted the router yet?

Options
Re:EAP110 unit works, has IP address and connectivity ... but router doesn't see it.-Solution

@d0ugmac1 I just typed a lengthy post and had it disappear.

Anyway --

1-- Reset it. Router could see it when I reset it, but I could not access device. Was a "Hidden Network" ... default SSID was recognized but no connection/connectivity, when I added device manually.

2-- Took it down. Looked at it. Says model is CPE210 version 2.8, which is weird because config for the one that's working properly says it is an EAP110-Outdoor, firmware 3.20, hardware 3.0. Weird, because I bought them together. They look the same on the outside.

3-- Hooked it up directly to a computer and was able to (re)configure. Working just fine as an access point. Router could see it. IP was 192.168.0.254, which was default. I left it there.

4-- Put it back outside. Router can't see it. IP changed to 192.168.1.12. Working the same way it was as when I started. Can't access it. Router can't see it. But working fine for connectivity.

5-- Moral of the story, I guess, is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Might try bypassing switch in basement, I guess. LAN runs to that and POE for both devices runs from there.

Recommended Solution
Options
Wednesday

@d0ugmac1

PS. -- I am an idiot. Just remembered -- I do have two EAP110s. The one in front was broadcasting and the other was at a construction project down the street, receiving. Very handy when building a house to have connectivity (no cell signal.) Anyway, the house is built. The second EAP110 is in a box.

I don't even remember when I got the CPE210. About the same time. So the problem, such as it is, is with that one, not the EAP110s. Sorry.

Options
Thursday

@Just-Jeff 

It's all good!  Thanks for letting us know the reason...I was definitely scratching my head on that one!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 62

Replies: 6

Related Articles